Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im taking my new focus to the track this coming tuesday. What is a good launch technique? Do I drop the clutch or feather it, and at what RPM??

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
you'll catch a little bark if you drop it at around 3.8, try to feather it around there

but then on the other hand I'm with DGG: drop it at 6 or higher and let us know what happens.[:D]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6 grand huh, I'll be sure to try that [thumbd]

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Oh come on, you're no fun!

Seriously though get as many runs as you can and try different techniques and let us know how they affected your times on this thread if possible. I want to take mine to the track but just haven't had the time with my kids being in so many sports.

You should have gotten the Infrared they launch much quicker off the line.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6K just sounds way to high for my liking. I really dont wanna **** anything up. I mean i jsut got the car! Last time i went to IRP i think i had 7 or 8 runs. However this is the last test and tune this year so im sure there will be lots of people. I got an autotap too. Gonna take readings of all the sensors down the track. Should be intersting i think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been trying stoplight launches at 2500 or so and if I get on it too much, that darned traction control kicks in. Feathering through 3500 or so seems to be best so far.

Beetle

·
Registered
132 Posts
DISABLE THE TRACTION CONTROL.... For racing... I think it is fuse 46! The one for the ABS... It's the only way to "disable T/C completely"

Also Dumping it at 6K won't hurt it, unless you do it all the time! DEfinately 2-3000 RPM's for the launch though any less you'll stall any more your wastin the power on T/C or rubber!

·
Registered
76 Posts
imajsdaddy said:
DISABLE THE TRACTION CONTROL.... For racing... I think it is fuse 46! The one for the ABS... It's the only way to "disable T/C completely"

Also Dumping it at 6K won't hurt it, unless you do it all the time! DEfinately 2-3000 RPM's for the launch though any less you'll stall any more your wastin the power on T/C or rubber!
You don't have to pull the fuse! I'm new to Foci, but I believe if you push the little button next to the hand brake, and just behind the heated seats, it will completely shut of the traction controll. I could be wrong, but that's what the manual says. I only have 700 miles on mine, haven't done any super hard launches yet. I did an around 4000 dump with the traction control and got two little chirps. I would think, if your not a great launcher, use the traction control for dumping the clutch, and hit the button just before shifting to second. These cars seem to rev slow enough to have time to do that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wolf71 said:
You don't have to pull the fuse! I'm new to Foci, but I believe if you push the little button next to the hand brake, and just behind the heated seats, it will completely shut of the traction controll. I could be wrong, but that's what the manual says. I only have 700 miles on mine, haven't done any super hard launches yet. I did an around 4000 dump with the traction control and got two little chirps. I would think, if your not a great launcher, use the traction control for dumping the clutch, and hit the button just before shifting to second. These cars seem to rev slow enough to have time to do that.
First and only comment! The traction control shut off button ony works above 20 miles per hour.... So as long as your going from a rolling start, your good to go.

For some reason Ford thought we would want to race our little cars or something!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
imajsdaddy said:
First and only comment! The traction control shut off button ony works above 20 miles per hour.... So as long as your going from a rolling start, your good to go.

For some reason Ford thought we would want to race our little cars or something!
I wonder what gave them that idea. [:D]

Imajsdaddy is correct the only way to fully disable the TC is by pulling the fuse, I pull F12 a green 30amp fuse under the hood, this disables the TC and ABS.

·
Registered
132 Posts
R&DSVTZX5 said:
I wonder what gave them that idea. [:D]

Imajsdaddy is correct the only way to fully disable the TC is by pulling the fuse, I pull F12 a green 30amp fuse under the hood, this disables the TC and ABS.

The #46 fuse is in the interior of the car... I prefer to pull that one as apposed to pull a fuse from the main fuse box...

But I'm sure they both accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I pull the #46 next time, I'm sure that it does accomplish the same as pulling the #12 in the main box. Besides the main box lid is a pain in the a** to put back on........for me anyway, the SVTF I've discovered is a very moody car...........[paranoid] shhhh, dont tell her I said this.[;)]

I should have purchased a red one.[thumb]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not to sound like I total newb, but I have never drivin a stick, at least not all the time. How do I drop it? Just curious, thought I would ask before I went out a tried it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Drop it... Dump it... Just rev it and let the clutch out fast, don't slip/slide it. If we had more power, it wouldn't be great for the transmission. But from the sound of everything I'm hearing here, slipping it isn't good for the clutch and flywheel. I've dumped at 2500 rpm and gotten a couple chirps as the traction control kicks in. Haven't tried pulling the fuse yet, I haven't taken it to the track. Think I'll wait until I get an aluminum, single mass, flywheel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts