Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my latest dyno of my car. It makes 361 fwhp at 26psi. It should make more hp at higher psi, but it seems to have some misfire issues now. I fix one problem, and it seems like another problem pops up. Some more tuning is needed to clean up the power curve. I try to keep the a/f ratio around 11.5. Sometimes the car is richer than 11.5, which I need to fix. I am looking for another 40 fwhp, but we will see what happens.

·
Registered
703 Posts
[ohcrap]

amazing... [thumb]

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Wow that thing is GUTLESS until 5000 RPM. Need to get a 50 shot on there or something.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thefrush said:
Wow that thing is GUTLESS until 5000 RPM. Need to get a 50 shot on there or something.
Ya, I know. I have an idea for a nitrous setup. I am trying to see what I can get out of the car first before I put more money into it.

I purchased a kenne-bell boost-a-spark since of the misfire issues at the higher psi. I have not installed it yet, but I am hoping it will fix my problems. Once I get the misfire problem fix, and dyno the car again, I will see how fast the car goes at the track without nitrous. If it does not perform well off the line, I will try leaving a high rpms with big drag radials or buy a good nitrous setup.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
hell i wouldn't mind with 200 at the wheels @ 5k [:D] then again i'm N/A

almost a 100 gain in 500 rpms is pretty impressive [thumb]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is that delay in power from an oversized turbo? I've heard of similar issues when the turbo is meant for massive peak power it takes a while to get spooling.

either way, IMPRESSIVE numbers. Very nice.

Have any track times?

·
FF Affiliate
30,963 Posts
It would surprise me if the boost a spark will help unless your coil is bad i made my 700+ still on the stock coil

You will need to get into the lower .020 on plug gap at about 400HP and stay there for above that

You may want to trade out a coil and wires just to test your stock ones i have found many bad sets even aftermarket

As for the SVT Intake i did a write up on it back in late 2002 about the inner white/green seals coming off the end of each of the runners all you have to do is remove the TB and fish in there and pop them loose and take them out , after doing so i saw to power loss on the dyno from removing them and it is a quick fix to cure the problem

It is very common for them to come loose but VERY rare they hurt the engine

Tom

·
Registered
354 Posts
sounds like a v-8 killer to me...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I wouldn't stress the low-end loss if you are drag racing the car. You should be leaving the line at 4500 rpms anyway on drag radials (I use 225-45-17's)

Once rolling, if you shift at 6900-7100 rpms, you should never dip below 4.5k going into the next gear anyway, and you are prolly gonna be closer to 5k, so you will still be near 200/200 (easier on the clutch)

I think the nitrous over turbo set-up might be a a waste of money, unless you are really trying to eke out every last 10th..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Lumadar said:
Is that delay in power from an oversized turbo? I've heard of similar issues when the turbo is meant for massive peak power it takes a while to get spooling.

either way, IMPRESSIVE numbers. Very nice.

Have any track times?
Yes, the delay is caused by a big turbo. I want to make around 400whp, so I have to use a larger turbo. If I went with a smaller t3 super 60, the car would have more low end power and full boost sooner, but it would not be able to make the hp I want.

I don't have any good track times. I planning to buy a set of drag radials first before I go back to the track.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
1turbofocus said:
It would surprise me if the boost a spark will help unless your coil is bad i made my 700+ still on the stock coil

You will need to get into the lower .020 on plug gap at about 400HP and stay there for above that

You may want to trade out a coil and wires just to test your stock ones i have found many bad sets even aftermarket

Tom
I never thought of gapping the spark plugs down that low. I did notice that I was able to increase the boost more at the lower gap, but I never thought of doing lower .020. I will give that a try the next time I dyno my car. Thank you Tom for the information.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Scott_SVT said:
I wouldn't stress the low-end loss if you are drag racing the car. You should be leaving the line at 4500 rpms anyway on drag radials (I use 225-45-17's)

Once rolling, if you shift at 6900-7100 rpms, you should never dip below 4.5k going into the next gear anyway, and you are prolly gonna be closer to 5k, so you will still be near 200/200 (easier on the clutch)

I think the nitrous over turbo set-up might be a a waste of money, unless you are really trying to eke out every last 10th..
I am looking at the bfg drag radials. That is probably the same size drag radial you are using. I hope they will give a good amount more traction compared to the stock tires. What kind of rims are you using for those? That kind of suspension do you have? I probably need to put my stock springs back on for that. Here is a picture of my car. You can see how low it is with the intrax springs.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
lourenco said:
Here is my latest dyno of my car. It makes 361 fwhp at 26psi. It should make more hp at higher psi, but it seems to have some misfire issues now. I fix one problem, and it seems like another problem pops up. Some more tuning is needed to clean up the power curve. I try to keep the a/f ratio around 11.5. Sometimes the car is richer than 11.5, which I need to fix. I am looking for another 40 fwhp, but we will see what happens.

...Congrats on the higher #'s...Got a question for ya. What are your EGT's on the street,what are they peaking at during normal driving??
[thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Wouldn't Tom's 3" exhaust add some power over the 2.5" Borla? Is that a true 2.5" or does the Borla constrict to 2.25 in some spots? With that kind of power on the turbo, you might fetch another 15-18whp with a more free flowing exhaust.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
2004SVTAutoXer said:
Wouldn't Tom's 3" exhaust add some power over the 2.5" Borla? Is that a true 2.5" or does the Borla constrict to 2.25 in some spots? With that kind of power on the turbo, you might fetch another 15-18whp with a more free flowing exhaust.
I was thinking of doing a 3 inch exhaust. The 3 inch exhaust probably would gain hp and help to lower egt. The problem would be trying to get a 3 inch turbo down pipe and 3 inch off road pipe. Tom said he could do a 3 inch turbo down pipe, but I think I need to bring my car to him or the a/c compressior was in the way or something. The borla exhaust is a true 2.5 inch exhaust, as I don't see any spots where it reduces to 2.25.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Re: Re: latest dyno 361fwhp.

finalley said:

...Congrats on the higher #'s...Got a question for ya. What are your EGT's on the street,what are they peaking at during normal driving??
[thumb] [thumb]
At idle it is about 800F. Low speeds driving around it is about 1,200F. At high speeds it is more toward 1,350F.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
lourenco said:
I was thinking of doing a 3 inch exhaust. The 3 inch exhaust probably would gain hp and help to lower egt. The problem would be trying to get a 3 inch turbo down pipe and 3 inch off road pipe. Tom said he could do a 3 inch turbo down pipe, but I think I need to bring my car to him or the a/c compressior was in the way or something. The borla exhaust is a true 2.5 inch exhaust, as I don't see any spots where it reduces to 2.25.
Well whatever the case, that's a beautiful looking and performing Focus :D

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Re: Re: Re: latest dyno 361fwhp.

lourenco said:
At idle it is about 800F. Low speeds driving around it is about 1,200F. At high speeds it is more toward 1,350F.
Do you have anything jet hot coated or just running heat wraps?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts