Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wonder if anybody has tried to pull it off? My headlights (06) have up/down adjustment only....I guess all these cars are that way. My '95 Sentra also had a side-to-side adjustment. It was accomplished by a separate headlight mount bracket that was adjustable.

I wonder if a small amount of adjustment could be performed by enlarging the Focus headlight mount holes....or some other method? I only need a few degrees adjustment on both sides.

Pretty cheap of Ford to leave off this essential adjustment IMO. [:(]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The bolts on the top of the radiator support allow a bit of side to side adjustment. Yes I have tried it with my car, but I really didn't gain any better night vision than factory, but I could notice that light dispersion changed slightly.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.....gives me some hope I can pull it off anyway, maybe with some small enlargement of the mount holes. I've always been picky about headlight aim, and try for the same headlight alignment with every car I've owned. This is the first car I've had with a fixed side-to-side setup.

When you get older, you become more aware of these sorts of things, and getting it right becomes more necessary. I ordered a new set of headlights recently, so I'll have the things off for the install. Good time to do the necessary mods.....

When I get the right time to do this, I'll update this thread.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.....I had the headlight housings off today, and got a chance to examine the mounts closely. Doing the adjustment mod looks to be possible, without much trouble. I suspect you could get 5-8 degrees adjustment.

How.....there are two location dowels that prevent adjustment. On my car I need the headlights to pivot outward slightly. To do this you would cut off the inner dowel on each side (closest to the center grill). You would also have to enlarge the upper mount holes in the headlight housing....and do a small amount of trimming of the outer bracket.

Now when finished, you would loosen the two upper mount bolts, and manually pivot the housing. This would involve some trials, and some road tests to get it set right. But it will work.

This mod I'm saving for next spring.....but it's possible if you're picky, or maybe your headlights are way out because of an accident.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
Move to: "Exterior Body & Lighting"

the Mach headlights have horizontal adjustment.
not sure of the 99-04 non-HID headlights have horizontal or not.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a photo of the location dowel you would have to cut. The part to cut off is circled. The other part would just rest on the core support, preventing the headlight assy from going downward at that point, but still allowing side-to-side adjustment. If you wanted a more secure mount......after you settled on a final adjustment, it would be easy to make a small bracket to tighten it down. (don't think that's necessary however).

·
Registered
518 Posts
My Cross-Eyed '05

I recently got eBay projector headlights and have been having some aiming issues. As most of you know, the headlights can be aimed vertically, but not horizontally. My drivers headlight is pointing a little to the right, however, my passenger headlight aimed even more to the right, making it's light output pretty worthless. Anyone have any ideas how I can correct for horizontal aiming? My car is an '05 ZX3.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I haven't done the mod yet......but I'm confident it will give you enough adjustment to make up for most alignment problems.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wow, I started a thread with this question and all of a sudden it turned into your thread, weird. I just got my HIDs and I'll be trying this mod in a few hours. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The mods merged your new thread with my original thread......and used your thread title.

I tried leaving out the lower mount screw (the one under the fender). You might get more adjustment this way. The upper two mount bolts seem to be plenty, as long as one location dowel is left in place. You might even try cutting both dowels to get more adjustment. Depends on how much adjustment you need. The outer mount bracket (by the fender) may need to be trimmed slightly on the edge, to gain a few more degrees.

I didn't have to do any mods to my new black headlights. The alignment was almost perfect. Report back and let me know the outcome...I'm interested.

·
Focus Enthusiast
3,002 Posts
[?|] whoops, did the merge wrong, I'll give it my own title so we're not playing favorites[ffrocks]

new title will be search friendly too!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heh....the original title read "side-to-side" rather than "lateral". I wonder how many of the members here actually know the meaning of "lateral"? Public education being what it is these days, demonstrated by the spelling and grammar seen all the time on these forums, I would think "side-to-side" was more "search-friendly". [;)]

·
Registered
518 Posts
So I trimmed off the tabs as per bluefront's information, and it helped. My HIDs started right up the first time but the beam still needs to be adjusted for optimal light spread. I'm using only the 2 top mounts to secure the headlight, I removed the captured nut that would attach to the bolt on the fender side as to gain more adjustment there.

I really liked my thread title, "Cross-eyed '05", the comedy practically writes itself!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice to know.....maybe you could post a picture of what your beams look like now against a wall. Why they should be off so far as you described is a mystery. This mod can only provide so much adjustment, without the headlight housings looking crooked. Here's mine....this picture was before my new black housings. The beams were just a little too close together here....

I posted the method I use to adjust headlights. Might be worth a read.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks for the info as always man...I'll play with mine when I get home.[wrenchin]

·
Registered
518 Posts
How far away should I park my car to adjust the headlights? Currently, I'm adjusting them in a dark area and shining light against a wall. I'm pretty much guessing. I have both beams adjusted correctly vertically, but I don't know what the correct height should be, I'm pretty guessing and checking.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well as I said in that headlight adjustment link......there's no absolutes here. I like mine adjusted to the point that if I go higher, people start blinking at me. The passenger side should be slightly higher than the driver side, and slightly more to the right ( to see deer and pedestrians better). But it's all up to you.

Once you know where the beams are against a wall, when you're parked in the same spot.......if you think you need more adjustment, you pull back to the same spot, and adjust the headlights as you watch the beam pattern. It's trial and error with this method.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts