Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info ref. West Coast based vendors that can build skid plates/underbody protective panels for rally for a FSVT. Thanks!

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
If you are interested in a brush guard up front w/ option to mount lights, check out a company called Rally Innovations. They made a really nice piece, although they dont advertise it on their site any more. If you give them a call and ask them, I believe they still have a few of these laying around for focus'.

DinoAdventures has one on his ride and it's sick

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
thats seriously badass! lolz

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
That is REALLY cool.

If I start driving enduros, I might look into that for nightime illumination!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Most skid plates are custom made (there are several companies that make then for subies however) When rally innovation made a pan they were on the thin side (1/8") and were more appropriate for looks or possibly rally cross). Look for 6061 aluminum as it will absorb a big hit and minimize cracking (its a little softer alum. alloy). It needs to be at least 3/16 inch thick. All the big boys use carbon fiber skid plates to save weight but they are very expensive. Another cheaper way is to layer LDPE polyurethane (2 layers of 3/16 to 1/4" each). I've seen this done on some of the best rally cars and it holds up really well. It's easy to cut and shape with a heat gun if needed. While bolting is the best retention, I've seen the LDPE held in with wide heavy duty zip ties every three to four inches along the front and rear of the skid pan.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Send the man a rep point!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I just got my ralley inovations skid plate installed and I agree that it is more for looks than for the serious off road enthusiast. The nice thing about their design is that you can interchange the skid plate with a thinker one. If there is a metal shop nearby they can probably make you one at a reasonable price. The place that I went quoted me 30 bucks to make me a thicker sheet. I am trying to find lights that are thin enough to mount on mine though. any suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts