Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
A tune and/or exhaust will be your best upgrades before an intercooler. Ours is actually quite good.

Looking to lower your temps? Pull the AGS fuse

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
Like it needs it, come on should be spending your $ more wisely.....Take advantage of momentum, best to do a suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anyone found a larger turbo for the 1.0l
Pumaspeed makes a replacement turbo that you can buy starting at $850. They say you can get ~215hp with it and a custom tune. Pumaspeed also claims the stock rods and pistons are good to 180-200hp, and will sell you a forged rod and piston set for another ~$1,000 to go >200hp.

So you're looking at close to $2,000 in new hardware before labor, plus more for a custom tune. Pumaspeed's 215hp build list contains more parts than a new turbo, rods, and pistons...

I don't think that's worth the money to hopefully get another ~80hp and ~100lb-ft.

Plus, asking people to spoon-feed you information instead of looking yourself does not look good.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pumaspeed makes a replacement turbo that you can buy starting at $850. They say you can get ~215hp with it and a custom tune. Pumaspeed also claims the stock rods and pistons are good to 180-200hp, and will sell you a forged rod and piston set for another ~$1,000 to go >200hp.

So you're looking at close to $2,000 in new hardware before labor, plus more for a custom tune. Pumaspeed's 215hp build list contains more parts than a new turbo, rods, and pistons...

I don't think that's worth the money to hopefully get another ~80hp and ~100lb-ft.

Plus, asking people to spoon-feed you information instead of looking yourself does not look good.

I'm not having anyone spoon feed me anything I have some work done to my three banger I don't want to be like everyone else and do all the swaps that everyone is doing with the st I'm wanting something different something u don't normally see done just trying to get some advice I've looked on pumaspeed and just about everywhere else but I do have a st motor waiting to be built to drop in but I don't want to follow everyone elses footstep

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm not having anyone spoon feed me anything I have some work done to my three banger I don't want to be like everyone else and do all the swaps that everyone is doing with the st I'm wanting something different something u don't normally see done just trying to get some advice I've looked on pumaspeed and just about everywhere else but I do have a st motor waiting to be built to drop in but I don't want to follow everyone elses footstep
plus I thought this site was to help get advice not to put some down just bcuz they are interested in doing something someone else isnt

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well, asking "the crowd" for advise on doing something different from what everybody else is doing is a little...

Anyway, I've been down that kind of road. My first Supra was normally aspirated, and I started looking for performance options. The answer given was pretty much always "swap in a turbo motor." as it was deemed a waste of time to do much with the stock normally aspirated motor.

In that case, there were people who spent a lot of time and effort on their non-turbo cars, and were able to approach the torque that came stock on the turbocharged models. In this case, though, I will say that there were definite gains in not having to spool up a turbocharger, even more so with a manual transmission.

In the end, I bought a turbocharged car that someone had put sideways into a phone pole, and swapped in the driveline, and never looked back.

From there, I did upgrade the factory stuff quite a bit, then bought another turbo Supra, and upgraded that one even further, doing an engine build from the block up.

There are things that you can change piece by piece, but everything affects everything else. A bigger intercooler won't help until intake air temperature becomes a limiting factor, and in fact will often hurt performance with the stock turbo.

A larger turbo will mean more lag until or unless it can breathe better. Upgrading the exhaust post-turbo to flow as freely as possible will often improve the stock turbo performance.

In general, getting more power from a turbocharged car goes in stages.

1. upgrade the exhaust. The turbocharger NEEDS a pressure differential across the turbine. The more potential across the turbine, the more that it can do. Exhaust is built as a compromise between power, noise, weight and cost. you can have better performance in both power AND noise at the expense of the other two. (My Supra was often the quietest car at the meet, but I had 3.5" from the turbo outlet all the way to the back of the car.)

Intake is generally done at about the same time, but many things that are deemed upgrades really aren't. One guy on the Supra owner's group proved on a dyno that getting rid of the stock intake resonator actually hurt low-end torque and didn't improve top end breathing. People got rid of it anyway because more intake sound OBVIOUSLY means more power, right? I'd just say to beware any cold air intake that promises more power.

2. Once you have a free flowing exhaust, you will probably want to start messing with boost levels. A boost controller for a car with a mechanical limiter will let you start to play. Some cars the ECU/PCM handles an air valve solenoid to control, boost. I don't know how yours works, mine was mechanically limited via pressure diaphram linked to the wastegate. (old school technology) It could be regulated via a number of mechanisms not involving reprogramming the ECU.

3. Increased boost levels will increase the intake air temperature. Turbos have an efficiency area, where they increase output pressure by either heating the air that they're pushing through, or actually forcing more air through. Both increasing air mass and heat will increase manifold pressure, but only increasing mass will give you more power. Your intercooler will decrease the heat, which will improve what your engine can use.

4. Ultimately, your stock turbocharger is probably best suited to provide stock boost. you can often increase this by a decent margin, and this is enough for most people, but once you hate intake, intercooler, exhaust and boost control sorted, your bottleneck will be either the stock fuel system, or else the stock turbocharger. I'd recommend looking at both at the same time. Neither is cheap. I don't know what the Focus' options are for either, so this is well beyond my road map.

Ultimately, it's a 1L block, it's never going to be a powerhouse. once you get more than about a 30% increase in WTQ, you're going to have to start looking at driveline components, too. Clutches become a weak point pretty fast. Upgrading an economy oriented motor for performance gets expensive fast, and it's not long before even small gains get really expensive. There's a good reason why people will start pointing you towards motor swaps when you want to start making more power. Starting with a motor that's designed to make power really is the easiest way to start.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,303 Posts
All great points^^^^^^^^^And like you mentioned it's ultimately a 1.0 geared towards mpg......If the OP was looking for a performance orientated vehicle, there are better choices then to try to modify a 1 liter foci.....IDK what kind of mpg it gets, but a Fist would be a great vehicle to swap out to......If your wanting to upgrade what you have, do a good suspension swap= a good set of springs, dampers & sway bars would help you enjoy the driving experience......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts