Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea i tried searching for laminex but i didnt realize 8000 threads would show, i didnt wanna hunt down the most recent one to thread jack...so here we are, i was just curious if anybody experienced any melting issues with there laminex, specifically on their foglights...yes right now im running aftermarket foglight bulbs, but this started with the stock bulbs...whats happening is right in the center of the foglight/laminex a black spot is forming aka its burning. I mean ive had the laminex for prolly about a year, are they just getting old or sumthing? whats the temperature or better yet the wattage rating for them to handle? the other night it got so bad that my friend noticed that they were actually smoking a lil lol

Thanks

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
Are you running stock wattage bulbs in your fogs?? I would assume it gets pretty warm in such a small housing so for the lamin X to get that hot wouldnt be totally out of the question.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
oh damn, i have to check mine. i never thought of that. i have 80w Nokyas down there. ill reply to this later today. if anyones laminx is going to melt, it will be mine.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you running stock wattage bulbs in your fogs?? I would assume it gets pretty warm in such a small housing so for the lamin X to get that hot wouldnt be totally out of the question.
Well like i said i have new bulbs in their now, but the whole melting/burning process started when the stock bulbs were in there, im not sure of the wattage on the stockers and i can check on what i have in there now

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
The wattage is 37.5. Scrammer i am sure you could cook pancakes on your damn fogs LMAO. It does get hot which is really common for a hosuing of that small of a size.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the aftermarket ones i have are 55watts

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
true i mean i knew it was gunna obviously be hotter...but even with the stock 37.5watts bulbs it started to burn them up...i mean focussport doesnt list what they can or cannot be used up to on watts, it does say limited 3 year guarantee, so ill see if they can help me out and give me a new pair

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Lamin-X carries a 5 year warranty. I am a vendor, and have never heard of that issue. They may or may not warranty the item for you. I've never had that issue with any vehicle. They may deem it defective.

What color do you have?

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
^^ You may not but i can see why on fogs he would. Especially with the housing being soo small. And the 05-07 housing is different and smaller then that of the 00-04

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lamin-X carries a 5 year warranty. I am a vendor, and have never heard of that issue. They may or may not warranty the item for you. I've never had that issue with any vehicle. They may deem it defective.

What color do you have?
Yellow....i can post a picture up in the morning and show you exactly whats going on

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
actually you can kinda see whats going on in this picture....but ill still post a better pic up for more detail

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i looked at mine today. my laminx is fine for now. i havent had the nokyas in long though. ill report back in a few months.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
yeah, let me take a look. If focus sport won't try and get you taken care of, i will.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, let me take a look. If focus sport won't try and get you taken care of, i will.
Thank you i appreciate it...hopefully focussport will give me the time of day especially since i just spent almost 800 bucks on the Intake Mani

·
Registered
537 Posts
have you taken the lamin-x off yet? it could be that it isn't that the lamin-x is melting but, rather the fog light lens itself could taking on some wear because of the heat gennerated inside the light by having the lamin'x on there. - just a thought

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
I may be totally dumb. But def call Focus Sport. Don't think they would like someone trying to hone in on a customer they are already dealing with. Just me i know i wouldn't.

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i got some close ups pics takin with my phone...
Copy of right.jpg

left.jpeg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
snack - not trying to take on a customer, but like i said, if focus sport wont' work with lamin-x, i can try to get a replacement for him. not like i was trying to take away a customer, merely trying to help out a forum member.

mtadd- looking at the pictures it definitely looks like you are using a bulb that is too hot. An HID bulb will actually run cooler, so it may be a better long term investment going with a 3000k HID bulb than running the higher watt bulbs and burning the lamin-x.

I have sold a ton of lamin-x, and never seen anything like that.

Let me know if focus sport is able to help or not, and we can try.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts