Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year in October, I took a trip to Austin, TX and on the way back to Kansas, my car started hesitating and tugging, it would not accelerate, even if I put my foot to the floor and as soon as I would pull over, the car would turn off. I would wait for five - ten minutes and then the car would turn over and be fine. I would drive for about 15 minutes and then I would have to do the same thing all over again. As soon as I got where there were less hills, the problem went away. I was able to get home and had the CEL read. It said that cylinder # 2 was misfiring. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, and the coil pack, just to make sure the problem was fixed. I had no problems until this weekend. On my way to Laramie WY, the same thing started happening, but this time when I would pull the car would seem fine. I would turn it off and I could drive fine. This happned about three times, but was able to make it to Laramie and back to Kansas. Could the fuel pump be going bad? If not, what might be wrong? This time the CEL light did not come on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I don't know what the "fuel pump problem" is, but I think it's in the filtering area. In any case, there was a situation out there called the "hot gas problem" I had the problem with a Dodge Shelby Charger, and with a T Bird. Seems that both had Welbrow pumps, and Welbrow tech admitted to me (as to the Dodge, which Chrysler wanted $300+ for the pump alone.) that there was a hot gas problem. Car would die, leave it a few hours and it would be fine. I'd first check with Ford to see if your car is one that they are replacing the fuel pumps on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Ford was replacing the fuel pumps on the 2000 - 2001 models. I just could not think of another reason why this would be happening. I sure would love to hear other suggestions.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
sounds like a plugged cat converter.
had a car that did that, was fine on flat but when i started lugging up hills it would do the same. until one hill... i tried pushing it harder than i should have. that bad boy had me peeling passengers off the roof when it blew. ran great after that, except loud as hell.
one hell of a way to remove the cat, and some of the exhaust system.
dealer can check it, and don't let them try to charge you if it has to be replace. if im remembering right the cat has a federaly mandated 100k warranty (or somewhere around there)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an aftermarket cat, so if it is going bad, I am going to have to order a new one. I can feel exhaust coming through fine and even when the car was acting up, I could feel it blowing out. Other than a rotten egg smell, what are some other symptoms of a bad cat? Ever since I have been back from my trip, I haven't had any problems. On my way back from Wyoming, it only happened once and even when it did it that time, it was pretty mild, but I pulled over, just in case.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
You mention backfiring in the thread title. Backfiring is almost always ignition. (not to confuse with popping thru the intake, which is usually fuel starvation)

I just don't see how a plugged cat would lead to backfiring.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blurvfocus said:
You mention backfiring in the thread title. Backfiring is almost always ignition. (not to confuse with popping thru the intake, which is usually fuel starvation)

I just don't see how a plugged cat would lead to backfiring.
By backfiring, I meant that it was making popping sounds through the exhaust. If something was wrong with the ignition where would I look first? I replaced the plugs, wires, and coil, so I am not sure what to look at next.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
lduran said:
I replaced the plugs, wires, and coil...
There's nothing else left. It would probably be easiest to put a 'scope on this. You'll see the problem right away, rather than the usual "by guess and by gosh" procedure.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blurvfocus said:
It would probably be easiest to put a 'scope on this.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a scope?

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
ok, i had a real duh moment there for a sec. happened 3 times going to laramie and only once coming back....
were you running ethanol blend?
reason i ask is mine was a major dog when i went to denver....
altitude...thinner air and your car came from the flatlands. in denver, mine couldnt get out of its own way if it needed too, and it was stock. yours has some mods which most likely compounded this more. yours ever been dynotuned?

and i know laramie isnt as high as denver, but altitude seems to really effect the auto cars more than the sticks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was not running an ethanol blend and I have never had it tuned. Do you think elevation could really affect these cars that bad? Denver is actually at a lower elevation than Laramie. Denver sits at 5280 feet and Laramie is at 7,165 feet. If elevation affects these cars that bad, what is something I could do to minimize the effects?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Do you think elevation could really affect these cars that bad?
Yes...very much so.
Helena is at 4,000' (give or take a few).
When I went to the Seattle area (sea level) a couple times last summer,
I could have sworn someone stuffed 2 extra cylinders under the hood. [ohcrap]
Yes, it's that big of a difference.

A tune would help a lot.
It would also make your mods that much more effective.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, from what everyone is saying, this is going to happen everytime I go somewhere with a higher elevation that Kansas, correct? My car runs fine here and it ran fine when I was in Laramie. I guess it only happens when I am going at a higher rate of speed and even then, this time it only happened about four times. I drove this car to Colorado Springs and Las Vegas when I first got it and never had this problem.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I drove this car to Colorado Springs and Las Vegas when I first got it and never had this problem.
But...
Did you have all those mods installed at the time?
You really need a tune with that many mods.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WD40 said:

But...
Did you have all those mods installed at the time?
You really need a tune with that many mods.
Yes, I did have those mods at the time. I did all of my mods when I first purchased the car. I will look into getting a tune. Too bad that the nearest dyno to me is in KC. Thank you very much for your help!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
A scope is an ocilliscope. It's what they used before obdII. Most places have them. It anaylizes the exact conditions of your ignition system and can extrapolate some things that have nothing to do with ignition, also. Very useful. Most shops still have them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I must say i am having the same problem. I was wondering if you have ever figured it out. I had there for a while the rotten egg smell for a while back like maybe six months ago. It also shutters at higher rpm. Like 20 in first and bout 35 in second 50 to 55 in third and so on and so further. I seem to have the problem when doing long runs from pa to kansas. About KC it starts to happen. that is bout 10 hours of driving 80 miles an hour for bout 10 hours. I can let the car sit for bout 4 hours and itz fine after that. On flats itz not so bad it still does it but it can still go bout 60 soon as i hit a hill (yes there are hills in kansas) it cant do it. it shutters and then it dies you can try to rev the engine but it wont bring it back to life lol. So cat maybe? I was talking to a person they said it could be the fuel delivery module? that was recalled for 2000 to mid 2001. I went to the website and did the search thing to see if had any recalls but it didnt. But the fuel module was not mandotory so it prolly wont be on there huh? Oh btw it dont backfire.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts