Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have numourous mods on my car and have noticed that the brakes have become increasingly weak. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this and, if so, if they have tried using a vacuum pump and canister to help increase the vacuum pressure for the brakes. If so, please let me know what you used and where to get one. Thanks.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
If you have drum brakes in the back and disc in front. I suggest getting EBC Dimple and slotted rotors and green stuff pads for around 160 then get new shoes for the brake drums which is 35 then get the system bleeded and all and make sure they adjust the drums because that determins the brake pedals position. I had that problem when i had my stage 2 cams put on there was a little loss in vacuum but that was from a leak after the cams were installed the cams when first installed sometimes has that problem when air gets in the line.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work at a dealership in the service department and have checked my pads and rotors (pads are basically new and rotors have some wear, but are fine). My brake lines I have already bleeded at my work but they still feel weak. So, I am looking around for a vacuum pump and canister.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The stock brake setup is easily overworked for anything aside from old-lady driving around town because the rotors are pathetically small. The issue isn't the power of the master cylinder...you should still be able to lock your brakes up if you push hard enough. The problem is the stock rotors heat up quickly, and then you experience brake fade. The only way to combat this is to upgrade to larger rotors and calipers, and since the '00-'04 Foci used spindles that only work with the stock 258mm rotor size, you either need a kit that replaces the spindles (SVT, Baer, Brembo) or modifies them to use a larger rotor and caliper like the BAT Inc. front kit.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yea i had the same problem after the nitrous was put on. a lil scary spraying and then not being able to haul to car down in a good amount of time. its definetly time for SVT brake swap.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
not to steal this but does the bear kit fit with 17 inch rims

·
Registered
535 Posts
Make sure that you bleed your brakes correctly. From the furthers wheel from the master cylinder to the closest. bleed till you get bubbles and then some more to make sure.

Might need an new master though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i know, it the thing with the brakes though it doesn't feel like they lock up when I push completely down, atleast not like before the mods. Anyway, thanks for your input.

·
GO Green
11,148 Posts
get a svt brake kit, throw on some high performance pads like Green stuff or Hawk HPS and a set of braided steel brake lines. That should help alot

·
Registered
672 Posts
some facts please. Will they lockup. Is that the problem or is it just it doesn't seem to slow down for a given amount of pedal. If they lock up, and will decelerate in a controlled brake, you probably don't need the super brakes too many recommend. It could just be harder pads that have a softer feel because they don't grab like softer pads.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That could be it to, I was just checking to see if anyone else has experienced this problem or not. I guess some different pads would be the cheapest route to go first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts