Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys and Gals...

I have an 02 Wagon with the SPI engine and ATX. I recently blew a transmission cooler line on my way into work. Unluckily for me it happened a block away from a ford dealer...

It took them a week to get both cooler lines in (first they were never ordered, then they told me that they couldn't ship via airmail (which I know is bs), and then back ordered to the US (I live in Canada). All in all a sour taste in my mouth just from that parts ordering fiasco.

So I picked up the car tonight after work and it cost me $430 taxes included to replace two cooler lines. They charged $50 for diagnosis and $250 to undo the two nuts and two clips which interconnect the trans cooler to the trans. So $300 for maybe 30 minutes of work and another $50 for each line.

After driving the vehicle home from the dealer I noticed the trans just wasn't shifting right, so when I got home I checked the fluid level to find not a drop on the dipstick!

Luckily I had some left over Mercon V from a previous trans service I did last year, I added almost a litre (quart for you americans) to bring it up to the half way mark. They also charged me for an engine shampoo to remove the oil that sprayed out of the cooler line, needless to say that wasn't done either. I'm so angry right now with their $430 service I could scream.

I used to work at a Ford dealer in the service dept so I'm well aware how the parts ordering process works and how mistakes can be made... But for a tech to not properly road test and bring the car up to temp and then check trans level is beyond me.

So with my long nightmare dealership story can anyone tell me what the shop manual says for labor to R&R both trans cooler lines? I just think $250 is ridiculous![?|]

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
not sure what the book says on labor but i can remove the cooler lines and pull the whole cooler out of the car in about 15min. (did this when i did my ATX->MTX swap)

i really couldn't see this taking more then 30min.

personally i would be what moron took about 3-4 hours to do this? then not top up the fluid and no clean everything like i was billed for.

just raise hell maybe get some free stuff (if you trust them to put oil in your engine now) then contact ford customer service and ask what the labor time is on the cooler lines. it should be around 1hr (my guess)

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is proof that just because it's a Ford dealer, Doesn't mean the job will be done correctly. Techs have NO desire to do the right thing anymore. Get it in & get it out while charging way too much money!!!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Hey Guys and Gals...

I have an 02 Wagon with the SPI engine and ATX. I recently blew a transmission cooler line on my way into work. Unluckily for me it happened a block away from a ford dealer...

It took them a week to get both cooler lines in (first they were never ordered, then they told me that they couldn't ship via airmail (which I know is bs), and then back ordered to the US (I live in Canada). All in all a sour taste in my mouth just from that parts ordering fiasco.

So I picked up the car tonight after work and it cost me $430 taxes included to replace two cooler lines. They charged $50 for diagnosis and $250 to undo the two nuts and two clips which interconnect the trans cooler to the trans. So $300 for maybe 30 minutes of work and another $50 for each line.

After driving the vehicle home from the dealer I noticed the trans just wasn't shifting right, so when I got home I checked the fluid level to find not a drop on the dipstick!

Luckily I had some left over Mercon V from a previous trans service I did last year, I added almost a litre (quart for you americans) to bring it up to the half way mark. They also charged me for an engine shampoo to remove the oil that sprayed out of the cooler line, needless to say that wasn't done either. I'm so angry right now with their $430 service I could scream.

I used to work at a Ford dealer in the service dept so I'm well aware how the parts ordering process works and how mistakes can be made... But for a tech to not properly road test and bring the car up to temp and then check trans level is beyond me.

So with my long nightmare dealership story can anyone tell me what the shop manual says for labor to R&R both trans cooler lines? I just think $250 is ridiculous![?|]

That being the case,
1. why didn't you preform the repairs yourself?
2. what is the need for us to answer questions you seem to know the answers too, pricing and such?
3. why did you sign anything prior to inspection the car and test driving it yourself? (granted the repair is simple and neither should have been needed, CYA kinda deal)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That being the case,
1. why didn't you preform the repairs yourself?
2. what is the need for us to answer questions you seem to know the answers too, pricing and such?
3. why did you sign anything prior to inspection the car and test driving it yourself? (granted the repair is simple and neither should have been needed, CYA kinda deal)
I was on my way into work when it happened, the dealer was a block up the street and I needed my car fixed that day to get home. Granted I could have jacked up my car on the side street in 0C/30ishF and fixed it, but I didn't have the time.

I want to know the flat rate labor time to R&R the two cooler lines. I no longer work for ford and its after business hours so I cannot call to ask. Also, neither the flat rate price per hour nor time billed per job is on the bill.

I didn't sign anything, I paid the invoice, they gave me two bottles of mustard for my troubles and yes, granted the simplicity of the repair I didn't feel that a test drive was necessary.

All I can do now is complain, money is in their pockets and I'm the sucker who paid it... Granted if the work was completely done as described I have no problems paying the $430. But now the only thing completed on the vehicle is the R&R of the lines.

I'll make sure the service manager is aware that things are being billed that are not done. I was under the assumption they were a reputable dealer. Obviously didn't cut the mustard this time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts