Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.latimes.com/classified/a...argain-cars-pg,0,5811207.photogallery?index=3

OK he lists MSRP as $6700 depending on condition (he must have intended to say used price) and didn't mention HIDs as an option, but it's nice to see our babies as one of eight "Best Bang for the Buck"[hihi]

Car insiders' favorite bargain cars

Name: Dan Neil

Street cred: Pulitzer-prize-winning automotive critic for the Los Angeles Times

Best bang for your buck: 2002-2004 Ford Focus SVT

MSRP: Starting about $6,760, depending on condition

Why? "Before Ford let a roomful of blind monkeys with drafting pencils 'restyle' the Focus subcompact, there was this nifty three-door smashmouth, a performance-tuner version of the modest hatchback, now powered with a Cosworth-revised, 170-hp, 2.0-liter Zertec engine and a Getrag six-speeder. Other engine mods included forged rods, dual-stage intake and tubular headers -- all of which was well above par for a cheap factory rod. A long list of tuner goodies -- bigger brakes, performance suspension, sticky 18-inch tires, quicker steering -- made good on visual promise of a deep front spoiler, side skirts, rear diffuser and rear spoiler. The thing had HID headlights, for Pete's sake.

There is something deeply and pleasurably illicit about a car that delivers so much for so little. It's the frisson of theft and sex in public. It's getting away with something.

Expensive to build and inexpensive to buy, the SVT (Special Vehicle Team) Focus cost too much for Ford to keep the program going. Still, if you look hard, these gems are still out there on the used-car market. Undiscovered treasure."

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
The 18" tires note was a silly error, but at least the guy recognizes a good car when he sees one.

Someone email him and tell him to join up here!

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
...snip...
Why? "Before Ford let a roomful of blind monkeys with drafting pencils 'restyle' the Focus subcompact..... snip...
[hihi]

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SNIP "Before Ford let a roomful of blind monkeys with drafting pencils 'restyle' the Focus subcompact, /SNIP
Yea being an ex-industrial designer i whole hardedly agree.
They took a great design and turned it into plain vanilla,

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
"Zertec motor"? Zertec? Isnt that some kind of drug? lol

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,785 Posts
Lol just in case you have allergies while you are driving. Its still a sweet article. Everyone makes mistakes look at my signature.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
So true... I was so geeked to get rid of my past cars... this one I keep finding reasons to keep! lol

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
So true... I was so geeked to get rid of my past cars... this one I keep finding reasons to keep! lol
hahahaha... like me... once you are in... is hard to get out... i love my focus... and is not a "little" car... i hate when people say that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts