Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got in my car today and as I started to play a CD, I noticed something funny sounding with my sub. The best I could describe it would be it sounds louder than normal, with not as much tonal response, and less accuracy. Normally, I turn my HU volume up to 25, but turning up to 15 the bass is just as loud. Plus, it looks like I'm getting more excursion. My HU and amp settings havent changed, and last time I played it, it was fine. The only things I can think of it being are:

1. I took out one of the screws that held the L7 in to check the length of the screws and then put it back in, but I did this about a week ago.

2. I had the engine bay open to try to find the hole in my firewall, and I tugged on the power cable to the amp a little.

Any suggestions? And BTW, I'm only giving it 500RMS (it can handle 750) and I have my gains all the way down, with my SW output on the HU to MAX.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Gothy said:
Wow, thanks for your help.
Alright, alright, but it's true. Make sure a bass boost switch didn't get hit, or that you accidently turned on "LOUD" on your head unit. Maybe the screws were not originally screwed in all the way and you had air leaking, and now that you re-screwed them, there is no air leak. Maybe you fried a voice coil and your amplifier is now seeing a different ohm load and thus giving it more power. Maybe your power wire was pinched and you pulling on it loosened it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmmm....well, it's a dual 2 ohm sub, thus the impendence was 1 ohm, so if I fried a voice coil, shouldn't it play lower, since the impendence would now be 2 ohm?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
He's throwing out things to look for.

It could've been wired for a 4 ohm load, then suddenly went to 2 ohm.

You're right, 1 to 2 would be less.

After checking all the buttons and settings, it wouldn't hurt to pull the sub and check the ohm loads with a multimeter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem solved. It was either a problem with the power wire, or the box, but it sounds normal now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts