Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could anyone do a write up of how to wire some LEDs in the air vents? please include pics! thank you

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! i looked through the "HOW TO ARCHIVE" but i must have missed it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that write up is not detailed at all!! ... i mean where do you hook the wires up to the car? he said he tested them on a 9v battery but did he run them off that battery or did he hook them up to the car somewhere? there also needs to be a power and a ground wire hooked up somewhere... where did he hook up the ground and where did he hook up the power???

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
you could always run a fused wire straight to your battery and run it off a switch. Ground can be found in tons of places.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
You can draw power from dozens of places, same as the grounds. It probably wasn't mentioned as getting power and grounds is pretty 'standard' when it comes to wiring.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did this the past weekend with FocusTNR29 and after I got it all grounded and powered, I hooked it up to the car battery (without a fuse, which I know think is my mistake) and the the whole setup just got fried and started smoking really badly. The write up good for installation of the LEDs but not wiring the whole thing up. Does anybody have or can make a diagram of how it should be completely wired up? Thanks

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
you could prolly wire it so that they come on with your headlights. find whatever activates the lights when the switch is... well, switched.... and hook it up to that

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Dark006.. GOod to see another Miltowner! I had a fellow FF member make me an ashtray switchpanel.. came in the mail, everything labeled, and just clasped into place... switches light up too! Look in the BST forums... he has a post in here....

Here is what it looks like...

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Of course you can't. THe wires are hidden under the dash. The panel came with al wires labeled. Obviously, you're not going to see the raw product once everythnig is installed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
All you do is find a fuse spot that has power when you turn the car on and then wrap the wire for your led's around it and put it back in and then have that go to it's own fuse. then you can run all your poweroff that and then find a screw that goes to metal and get a clamp that you can crimp the wire into one side, and screw it down on the other then run all your negatives to that. Just don't forgett to never let the two wires touch. if you need anymore help just pm me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What "fuse spot" did you use? If I just run my own wire from the battery it would be coming from the positive terminal correct? I understand what you said above, but can you now include instructions on how to wire that up to a switch as well. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you plan on running it from the batter to a switch then to the lights its a real simple process. The switch will have have two terminals on the back. Your hot lead from the battery(or ignition wire) then from the other port to the lights them self. It will work like a light switch. You would be better off running it from a wire under your dash that is only hot while the key is on incase you forget to turn the switch off. Mine are run that way(from an ignition wire and a switch) so just incase I forget to turn the switch off.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
CrazyMatt said:
Dark006.. GOod to see another Miltowner! I had a fellow FF member make me an ashtray switchpanel.. came in the mail, everything labeled, and just clasped into place... switches light up too! Look in the BST forums... he has a post in here....

Here is what it looks like...

cool that i found this thread...

focusTNR29 click the link in my sig.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i'm curious too ... I already bought the LEDs, installed them in the vents with foil, and ran some wires ... did all the series/parallel research ... but got to turning it on and realized I have no idea when it comes to powering them. I was thinking of running into the lighting switch (so they come on at night only) but I have no idea what type of fuse or switch to use ... anyone get this done and have an easy way to do it?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts