Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just perusing the details for my soon-to-arrive SEL hatch on ETIS, and I noticed it lists the automated radiator shutters. I didn't think I was getting them but there it is. Just wondering if anyone knows if they could be part of the winter package, which I did order. Also, do they really make that much of a difference in the MPG? Just wondering.

·
Registered
968 Posts
They're part of the winter package.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
409 Posts
ETIS says my SEL came with them, but as far as I can tell my car doesn't have it. I did not get the winter package. [dunno]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Yes they are part of the Winter package, and several other odd combo's seem to get them..
Anyway YES they certainly DO make a difference in mpg.. on the freeway certainly.
PS I have an SE with Sports package, but NOT the Winter Package. i DO have the shutters.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have them and I just set my baseline mpg at 36.4mpg on a 28mile loop. I have an Automatic SE with 203A package as my my only options.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i dont have them and im getting up to 30mpg in the city on mountain rds. havent been on a long stretch of highway yet to see what i can really get. but wouldnt the engine tend to overheat itself after a little while of the shutters being closed? i wonder if the engine gets too hot will they automatically open back up?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
i dont have them and im getting up to 30mpg in the city on mountain rds. havent been on a long stretch of highway yet to see what i can really get. but wouldnt the engine tend to overheat itself after a little while of the shutters being closed? i wonder if the engine gets too hot will they automatically open back up?
Yes they certainly do open with engine/coolant temps.
From other posts: the Kysor shutters have """ 9 positions""" they can be adjusted to by the system. So certainly just about every condition can be adjusted for.

Also, the radiator probably get some air around other than straight in from the area of the shutters.

My personal question is do the Kysor Shutters close in Winter (cold) weather.. to help heat up the system faster? So do the respond to cold external temps as well as the engine/cooling system temps?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes they certainly do open with engine/coolant temps.
From other posts: the Kysor shutters have """ 9 positions""" they can be adjusted to by the system. So certainly just about every condition can be adjusted for.

Also, the radiator probably get some air around other than straight in from the area of the shutters.

My personal question is do the Kysor Shutters close in Winter (cold) weather.. to help heat up the system faster? So do the respond to cold external temps as well as the engine/cooling system temps?
They stay closed to heat up quickly for sure!
its about a 3 min drive from work to he thruway and every other car will reach operating temp a min or two aafter i get on the thruway. the focus heats up a min or two befor i get on the thruway :)

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
They stay closed to heat up quickly for sure!
its about a 3 min drive from work to he thruway and every other car will reach operating temp a min or two aafter i get on the thruway. the focus heats up a min or two befor i get on the thruway :)
I wonder if I do have them then... my car will show operating temp by the time I'm out of my neighborhood! Never gone past halfway though, so nothing is wrong!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input, everyone. I hope the car actually does have them when it arrives. ETA Oct. 21.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ya, I noticed I have them and I also noticed the car warms up suprisingly quick and stays at the perfect temp. Sweet though, never noticed until just 2 days ago while looking at the car closely.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When an engine is cold, The ECU enriches the mixture in order to warm up the engine to operating temperature. once the engine is warm the mixture can then be leaned off.
In very cold weather the engine has a tendency to cool off, the shutters try to eliminate this cooling off effect. You can expect the same mpg in cold weather as in warm weather by having the shutters. In warm weather the shutters will be open and in cold weather they will be closed or partially open.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have them on mine too (winter package also). And yes, I checked them today in the morning - they were closed. I then took a ride and once back home, they were open. Nice little details that make the difference.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The only odd thing about my shutters is when parked they are always open. never (so far) closed. But it has been warm here.. and i have indoor parking..
Have to wait until it is cold, and park outside! Then peek at the shutters.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The only time i have gotten down on the ground and looked into the grill was after the car had sat over night, 80ish degree weather, and they were closed.

It kind of concerned me, i would liked to have seen them open. That would mean that regardless of temperature when there is no power they would be open. That's a better situation to require power to close them if they fail.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
.... It kind of concerned me, i would liked to have seen them open. ...
Why would be that a concern ? There are only the lower grils that are closed, not all of them. So, can you be more specific about your concern ? [8)]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts