Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought replacement rear KYB excel g shocks and mounting kit(bumpstops, dust cover, both upper mounts) for my 02 sedan. They installed just fine. Due to time constraints the drivers side was installed a week before the passenger and the drivers side shock is just fine.

After installing the passenger shock I went for a test drive and the shock is banging around right away. Pull over and the shaft is sticking up through the rear side trunk wall. Get it back home and jack it up to see whats going on. There is a little c clip that fits in a slot on the shaft that holds the upper mount(inside the fender) in place so that when tightening the mount that's inside the trunk it sandwiches the body so the shaft does not just keep going up on bumps. The clip has come out of the slot and is low down on the shaft. So I slide it back up to the slot and tighten everything down.

Everything goes great for about two weeks but then I start hearing a thunk when going over bumps from the right rear that gets progressively worse until last night. I assume I just need to tighten the top mount inside the trunk more but when I sit on that corner to see how much play there is the shaft comes up much higher than it should- the clip has come out of the slot again.

Should I just glue the clip in place? Am I not tightening the top mount enough so the play is popping the clip out?

It's not the end of the world but to have to do this every 3 weeks or so is annoying and could potentially damage my new shocks when it's banging around in the hole when the clip comes out.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The problem I had was with the air space between the frame and the top shock mount, which is a plastic dome-shaped piece. There were foam washers in there that got all compressed and didn't fill the space anymore, and no matter how much I tightened the nut inside the trunk, they still banged around on bumps. I got some new rubber washers, unbolted the top inside the trunk, and pulled it down enough to pop the washers on. Tightened it up and no more noise. Of course the 2005 might be different, as I don't remember a clip of any kind.

Toby

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I removed the oem shock mount in the trunk & used the rubber shock bushings w/ the washers that came w/ the shocks. IDK why ford has that goofy shock mount thingy.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You're going to need a new circlip, and maybe a new shock if the groove for the clip is damaged.

I'd say to hit up KYB for a replacement.

Why it popped out originally would be hard to guess now, not seated right/bad clip are the most likely. If the groove for the clip was damaged when it popped out a replacement won't stay in place even if it's good itself.

Gluing it in place would be like gluing your wheels on after the lug nuts were lost, just won't work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem I had was with the air space between the frame and the top shock mount, which is a plastic dome-shaped piece. There were foam washers in there that got all compressed and didn't fill the space anymore, and no matter how much I tightened the nut inside the trunk, they still banged around on bumps. I got some new rubber washers, unbolted the top inside the trunk, and pulled it down enough to pop the washers on. Tightened it up and no more noise. Of course the 2005 might be different, as I don't remember a clip of any kind.Toby
I removed the oem shock mount in the trunk & used the rubber shock bushings w/ the washers that came w/ the shocks. IDK why ford has that goofy shock mount thingy.
The shocks that were on the car were some cheap replacements but had the rubber donuts on top and bottom and the oem disc in rubber were just loose in the trunk-guess that was a hint. I tend to think that Ford spent a lot more time and money on these things than anyone else does so I just got stock replacement mounts from KYB.

I have seen the shock shims, might look into that as they're supposed to take up the air space between the body and the top mount inside the trunk.

Every other shock I've dealt with has the lower upper mount hard fixed to the shaft, not this weird mount that stays in place with a circlip.

You're going to need a new circlip, and maybe a new shock if the groove for the clip is damaged.I'd say to hit up KYB for a replacement.Why it popped out originally would be hard to guess now, not seated right/bad clip are the most likely. If the groove for the clip was damaged when it popped out a replacement won't stay in place even if it's good itself.
Gluing it in place would be like gluing your wheels on after the lug nuts were lost, just won't work.
I'm curious about your last statement. If the issue is that the clip wont stay in the groove wouldn't gluing it into it keep it in better? Maybe not perfectly or permanently but it's better than nothing.
If the clip is messed up it will keep it in the groove, if the groove is messed up it will not work as well but will be better than just letting it sit there until it pops off again.

Overall I think the biggest issue is the air space with the top mount making wiggle room. On big bumps the lower top mount gets jamed up against the body (with no airspace the lower top mount would be against the body all the time, no up down room) popping the circlip out so fixing the gap will solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Put together right, the only "wiggle room" seen is some where there is a lateral space between the shock rod & the body where it passes through due to the shape of some isolators. Different isolators or a plastic sleeve to take up that room solves those different problems.

Assembled & tightened, no vertical space is present.

The main force on a shock is in the extension mode, but as you've seen there is appreciable force on it in compression at times (strut pushes up into the trunk).

I can't see your circlip/shaft from here, but it'll be a small surface of contact between the two and that will need the strength of steel on steel contact to support it in use.

Glued joints get their strength from a large surface area in close contact, your situation seems to be the opposite of that.

If your clip is a round wire type in the square groove, it needs to fit tight in that groove so the washer pressing on it actually forces it tighter when loaded. Loose clip or damaged groove, and more pressure forces it out - damaging both the clip & groove.

If that type, any glue in the joint would prevent it being tightened by load - reducing it's capacity.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The shocks that were on the car were some cheap replacements but had the rubber donuts on top and bottom and the oem disc in rubber were just loose in the trunk-guess that was a hint. I tend to think that Ford spent a lot more time and money on these things than anyone else does so I just got stock replacement mounts from KYB.

I have seen the shock shims, might look into that as they're supposed to take up the air space between the body and the top mount inside the trunk.

Every other shock I've dealt with has the lower upper mount hard fixed to the shaft, not this weird mount that stays in place with a circlip.

Thats what I thought too^^^^ I'd pass on those shims & remove the oem shock mounts & just use the shock mount bushings & washers(that came w/ the shocks) to the sheet metal of the shock tower. I kept the oem mounts for a bit & had no problem, so I tossed them. After a few yrs still no issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If your clip is a round wire type in the square groove, it needs to fit tight in that groove so the washer pressing on it actually forces it tighter when loaded. Loose clip or damaged groove, and more pressure forces it out - damaging both the clip & groove.

If that type, any glue in the joint would prevent it being tightened by load - reducing it's capacity.
Ok I see what you're saying. It is a round wire and square groove. Ill take a look at them to see if there's any damage. I think it's more an improper assembly/improper mount issue than damage.

That's what I thought too^^^^ I'd pass on those shims & remove the oem shock mounts & just use the shock mount bushings & washers(that came w/ the shocks) to the sheet metal of the shock tower. I kept the oem mounts for a bit & had no problem, so I tossed them. After a few yrs still no issue.
Nothing came with the shock other than a nut for the top so I ordered the mount kit from kyb which is factory style so no other mounts to use. The ones that were on the old shocks were toast and got thrown away with the busted old shocks.

Since I'm stuck with factory style mounts I ordered the shock shims. I also went out and tightened the nut some more. We'll see if it helps on the way home.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Great, Hey I see your on the otherside of the east bay,,,,,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, actual east bay. haha. Your profile says Washington though

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yeah, actual east bay. haha. Your profile says Washington though
Yea I lived in Palo Alto for a while & worked in Anitoch on hwy 4, yrs ago.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I lived in Palo Alto for a while & worked in Anitoch on hwy 4, yrs ago.
Ok so you know the bay well.

As a last ditch effort before just replacing the shock I took everything apart and inspected the groove, circlip, and both upper mounts. There was no obvious signs of damage so I glued the clip into the slot and was able to tighten the top nut all the way down to the end of the threads. I was able to find a donut from the old shocks but it was too tall, there wasn't a chance to get the nut started because the shaft was too short.

Drove to work today and everything seems much better. There is still a clunk on big bumps justifying my shock shim purchase but the clunk is way less and less frequent than it used to be so progress...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Sounds like your getting somewhere,,,,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got the shock shims Tuesday and put them in Wednesday. I tightened up the slightly loose lower mount bolt and put the shim in the upper mount on the passenger side.

I can say that after two days of driving over rough Oakland roads that would make the suspension clunk away that it is now silent and smooth. I don't know which one fixed the problem or if doing both things together took care of it but for now it all seems fixed. I'll update in a few weeks if anything comes back. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Well I got the shock shims Tuesday and put them in Wednesday. I tightened up the slightly loose lower mount bolt and put the shim in the upper mount on the passenger side.

I can say that after two days of driving over rough Oakland roads that would make the suspension clunk away that it is now silent and smooth. I don't know which one fixed the problem or if doing both things together took care of it but for now it all seems fixed. I'll update in a few weeks if anything comes back. Thanks for the help everyone.
Thats great that those shims took care off the problem. Great feed back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts