Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ppl,

I am new to this parts/upgrade thing with cars (mostly deal with computers :) )
What is the difference between Monroe and KYB shocks?
Which one is better and which one would you not recommend?

Please advise asap, I need to make a purchase online today or tomorrow for urgent delivery.

Thanks a lot,

Karifan

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
are u lowering the car? if so, these aren't going to last any longer or give you any better handling characteristics than the stockers. if you're just going for stock, i'd say KYB, although i've used both and been pretty much equally satisfied.

Mike

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thx for the response whiteboyslo, I do not intend to lower the car, just going stock height.
my problem was, I never heard of KYB and could not make up my mind.
I can order KYB with next day shipping, but Monroe is only delivered UPS ground.
I need to install them by this saturday.

Thx again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you're remaining stock, I would have just gone to NTB and had them install the Monroe's. If you want to firm the ride up a bit, call them and tell them you need replacement struts/shocks for an SVT focus.

Karifan said:
hey thx for the response whiteboyslo, I do not intend to lower the car, just going stock height.
my problem was, I never heard of KYB and could not make up my mind.
I can order KYB with next day shipping, but Monroe is only delivered UPS ground.
I need to install them by this saturday.

Thx again.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again thx guys for the quick response, I already ordered the KYB shocks and struts. If they are atleast similar quality as the monroe for a Cheapskate like me, I would be satisfied anyways.
I also ordered new tires the Pirelli's P6 4 season. I know they are above average tires, but I need something that last with heavy driving (nothing like road racing)

My next step is to get a FIPK, I am looking to go K&N from www.crutchfield.com for about 269$.

Do u guys have any suggestions for the FIPK? I know this probably belongs in the Ztec performance forum, I have searched a bit and found most everyone recommends the Volant.

Also how much HP can one expect from just replacing the Air intake? I hear from 5-15 but for an ATX what can I expect? or is it not worth the haggle?

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
worth the haggle, IMO, if nothing else for the fun noises! seriously, an intake will usually get you about 5-10 hp. you might not feel it that much, but you'll definetely notice the difference if you ever go back to stock (feels like the car is dying for air).

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts