Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got my new KYB AGX struts front the front-end of my 2003 ZX3. I also bought KYB Part # SB101, which is a bellow and bump stop kit. I slide the bellow over the strut and the bottom part of the bellow is so much bigger than the strut body... how am I supposed to get the bellow in placee?? The previous owner installed the old KYB GR-2s and didn't replace the stock bellow, hence my reasoning for the purchase. I'm assuming that this bellow/bump stop kit, #SB101 is very generic, thus it not coming even close to fitting the strut body...

That's what I get for assuming a KYB part would fit perfectly onto a KYB part.... [?|]

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If it was just loose enough to not be secure, I might give up & zip tie it to finish the job. Floppy loose all you can do is re-use the old ones or go without (the boot) while returning the parts that didn't fit.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
This happened to me, bought all KYB parts AGX struts, bump stops, and bellow thingy. Was too big as well, I ended up using it anyways cause I bought it and it was too much of a pain to return it. You have 3 options, 1. don't use them, 2. use them but zip the crap out of them, 3. use them but use no zip tie. I choose option 3. the strut crushes it down onto the body. It's not a perfect seal but should still keep out most things. I haven't checked on mine in a long while. The only problems I'm having is the KYB upper strut mounts are noisy and now after a year they are really noisy at times. I know it's the strut mounts and nothing else as I replace my entire suspension with new parts.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Stupid question - do those bellows have vent holes near the bottom?

Can't seal 'em up to the shocks if they don't, air needs a place to move in & out and any crud/water needs drain holes.

Held by the bump stops might be it - mount as Paul did.

Side note, this year I've seen problems with KYB strut mounts reported, one poster who tried for warranty was told "they aren't for "lowered" applications". Silliness as they're selling struts for just that.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I also read about the kyb strut mounts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys. I was thinking about option 3 also. I went with Moog strut mounts as opposed to KYB. Also, should I be replacing my upper spring plates?? When I took it in for an alignment, they said they couldn't do it because I needed new "plates". I took this as mounts (and the included bearing of course) and not the actual plate. Is the upper spring plate a common spot for failure???

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Haven't heard that before. Whats your alignment spec's?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't heard that before. Whats your alignment spec's?
I wish I could tell you, but honestly haven't a clue as to my current alignment specs. My intention would be to go with stock specs all the way around, after I get the the new struts installed. I'm waiting for a (even if slightly) warmer day to tackle this project.

Since on the subject of alignment, what should I request regarding the specs? AGX on on the front but keeping the Monroe rear shocks (for now) since they are only a year old. Springs are Tien S-Tech, about a 2" drop I believe. (They came installed on the car when I bought it) This is strictly a daily driver, and don't mind the slightly harsh ride of these springs.

With that said, I feel stock alignment specs would be fine, but suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Top spring plates themselves would only be a problem if badly rusted/damaged in some way. I think your guess is correct & they meant the top mount assemblies since they look like a "plate".

Decent alignment that fits in the stock spec. range is Zero to min. out at the front (no "in") & .10* in at the rear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions Sailor. I dig this forum, everyone is very helpful and super friendly. You guys rock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts