Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone who has used them on their car, what did you think of them?

ive heard good and bad things about them, but nothing really bad from people who have actually used them. how are they compared to stock shocks/struts? i definitely want a little stiffer than stock, but i dont think i need the konis. would kybs work well?

and i have 1.6" ford racing kw lowering springs.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
I have the koni adjustable's an they are awsome with the roush spring's (1.75inch drop) one good thing i have to say is that if your driveing around town you set them to soft an when you go racing just set them to hard. one word of advise is the ride is going to be really harsh for about the first week/week an 1/2..........i hope you dont have a back problem.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have them with the H&R Race Springs, which are I believe about the stiffest spring other than coilovers you can buy. They are about a 2.5" drop, and I ran stock struts for about 10,000 miles, [spank] ha bad idea. But I really like the struts, they work very well, really helped stiffen up the dampening and keep me from bottoming at all now, which is awesome [headbang] . Handling was also improved noticeably. I have not played with the adjusting much as it has been raining about every day, and I really don't feel like crawling under the car. I really like them, and would recommend them. I read they are a very good alternative to the Koni's which I was considering, but since I don't go on the track, the difference would be next to none. I am happy with them, and really like that they are adjustable. For about a week or two they did kind of lift the stance of the car but they are beginning to break in now, and slowly settling. Imo I don't think you can go wrong with getting the KYB's [;)]

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I have KYB AGX's, I like them. I don't have anything to compare them too other than stock, but even when they're set to the softest setting, it's still stiffer than stock, which I don't have a problem with.

My car doesn't handle quite as well as i'd like right now, but with suspension it's going to flex where the weakest link is. I still have stock bushings and front endlinks, but not for long. And 21mm sway bars front and rear. I'll probably also upgrade the front sway to a 24mm.

I too have a 1.6" drop on Vogtlands. If I swap anything, it'll be the springs for H&R's, and I'll keep the AGX's.

·
Registered
331 Posts
They retract and release slowly, just an overall dampener

Edit: Sorry didn't see the question was for Mr.Bergner my bad [boxface]

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Well from the info I gathered from Weeasp (and sorry to keep bringing this up, but there seems to be some confusion)

He wrote:
1. A FRONT BAR is the best investment for handling you can make next to tires. People choose to do the rear bar more out of convenience (because it is easier to change), but are surprised when the handling characteristics become twitchy. Especially considering that these cars are prone to "lift induced snap oversteer". Lift out of the gas in a corner and you swap ends.

A FRONT BAR works to put POWER on the ground so that you can use the throttle more effectively. This is especially important on lower HP front wheel drive cars like the focus.

2. A REAR BAR often creates more issues than it solves. The rear of the car becomes more volatile and then there is the snap oversteer issue.

If...BIG IF you elect to do a rear sway bar upgrade, then absolutely upgrade the front. Otherwise, withe front being "soft" you create a pivot point that can't keep pace with the rear rotation.

3. The BEST set up (IMHO) is to put a larger bar in the front and LEAVE the rear STOCK. To facilitate MANAGEABLE oversteer, increase the spring rates in the rear.

For example, in the Grand Am Acuras and SCCA Acuras that we ran, the front springs were rated at 450LBS. The REAR were a whopping 1000 LBS. The rear sway bar was STOCK. Unlike a spring, the sway bar has little to no "give" and creates a sliding effect. Springs compress and TRAVEL vs. slide. This creates the same amount of oversteer (depending on spring rate), but allows the driver to better predict and point the movements of the car. A solid rear bar is more like a light switch. You know that the rear is going to come around, but that ties directly with the adhesion limits of the tire. Springs make this process more gradual and therefore more controlable.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i gotta say i love my suspension setup the way i have it now.. ford racing kw 1.6" lowering springs, stock 21mm front bar, h&r 24mm rear bar, stock struts and front control arm bushings.. car handles AMAZINGLY. especially with the torsen..

i cant wait til i get my kyb agx shocks/struts, and front control arm bushings :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
i gotta say i love my suspension setup the way i have it now.. ford racing kw 1.6" lowering springs, stock 21mm front bar, h&r 24mm rear bar, stock struts and front control arm bushings.. car handles AMAZINGLY. especially with the torsen..

i cant wait til i get my kyb agx shocks/struts, and front control arm bushings :)
Hey, Did you put the KYB AGX's on? how did they work?

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
I got some and I love them!! Using them with FFRP 1.5" drop springs. They are a perfect match! I don't really change my settings that much. When I first got them i played with them until I ended up with 3 stiff front and I think 4-5 stiff in the rear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks Man, I have the Eibach pro springs, similar to your FFRPs with 1.5 ish drop with stock, earlier had them with Eibach pro dampers, those were too harsh, now need something right in between the stock and Eibach ones, i guess AGXs will do the job...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dampers don't make for a harsh ride as a general rule, unless worn out. Very few (special racing types) can be turned up for more damping than needed.

Compression damping - the resistance to movement when you hit a bump - is a very small portion of what they do.

Harshness is usually a description of response when hitting a bump, and that's primarily a function of initial spring rate. Your springs are about as soft for that as possible from lowering springs, progressive type with an initial rate similar to stock SVT springs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats technically correct, I am now running KYB AGXs with Eibach Pro's on setting 3, its perfect. Far better than the Eibach pro dampers.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Thats technically correct, I am now running KYB AGXs with Eibach Pro's on setting 3, its perfect. Far better than the Eibach pro dampers.
Try using the agx's w/ the frpp's k/w springs,,,,,,slightly stiffer ride then the eibach's,,,,,,,,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts