Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many pounds of air am I supposed to inflate these tires with? I just purchased new tires and the shop put 37 pounds in them. I always read that 32-34 was where you were supposed to keep them at. Any tips?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I beleive ford recommends something like 32 all the way around, which is more for ride quality than handling and is spec for the stock tires.......your new tires will like little more air to grip at their full potential. Because of the difference in weight from front to back....I run 35 in the front and 33 in the rear. It makes for a stiffer ride but makes my tires wear much more evenly and yeilds better response on initial turn-in. Also remember if you live in a hot climate like I do in TX your pressure may go up from 2-5psi when comparing cold to warmed up.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I always use what's recommended on the side of the tire.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You should use what's on the sticker on the door jamb. The pressures on the tire are MAXIMUM psi allowed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
blanezx3 said:
I always use what's recommended on the side of the tire.
NEVER use whats on the tire. Thats the tires Maximum pressure, and you're getting excessive wear in the center of your tire due to overinflation.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have the Ecsta ASX's on for summer, and run 34-36 psi in all four. In winter, I run around the same with Fuzion HRi's (cheapest I could find...lol) and don't have any wear issues. The higher pressure will give you better handling, as stated, and also a little better gas mileage in exchange for a harder ride. The recomended 32 psi is for a nice ride.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No prob. Good tire choice by the way. From what I've heard on many SCCA autocross forums the ASX is a rabid wolf in sheeps clothing...let us know how it performs with that svt suspension once you get the pressure dialed in.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
how can you say not to use what is recomended by the sidewall they are designed to use that pressure. Also if you change tire brands ( like I did my door says 32 while my tires say 44) other than what came on stock you can not use the sticker. That sticker is for the tires that were on it from the factory. I have always used the recomended tire pressure on the side of the tires with no excisseve wear. I only noticed wear problems when it was either over inflated or under. I am not saying you can't get a little better proformance with minor changes but that for most people it is beter to use the sidewall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not to be an arse but, wrong again. The pressure stamped on the edge of the tire is it's maximum psi at maximum load, and is all relative to the physical load bearing properties of the tire. Our cars don't even begin to scratch the maximum load level of most tires thus you run less pressure to get optimal performance/ wear. I'm pretty sure running your tires at max psi all the time is very unsafe and could result in a blowout (not good at highway speeds). Go take another look at your tires....it should read max. inflation pressure 44psi.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^^I agree 100%. The number on the side of the tire is the maximum pressure. The PSI that is indicated on the door jam sticker is what is recomended for the car, not for the tire. But, once again, this pressure is for a combination of ride quality and performance. You can get better performance with a little more pressure, but will lose ride quality.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I once had a mechanic inflate the tires on my old Prelude to ~50 psi! His reasoning was "It's what it says on the tire."

Once I drove the car home, I let the air down to 35 psi, like the owner's manual and the sticker on the door recommend. I don't know how this myth of inflating to the psi on the tire keeps getting perpetuated...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^I don't know either. I know that in any auto class you can take, it is pounded into your head to use the car's recomended air pressure, not the max on the tire. I think I saw it on the news a couple times too, like when they do stories on gas mileage or tire blowouts.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
LOL that's crazy...

...using the pressure stated on the tire lol

·
Registered
11,161 Posts
I run about 35+ all around because if I run lower I get excessive wear on the edges so I over-inflate to compensate for the outer tire wear

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
a tire shop where i live told me any tire will be stable ( as tested) at max psi and that is how any company gets there max psi rating
ford will tell u 32!!! when i asked the tire guy why?? he said it is a smoother softer ride

a guy i work w/ said low profile/ mud tires need to run at near max psi for a simple resone low profile tires have less air space so it will take more psi to put more tire on the road since the tire has a short side wall ( shortst dimention) the tread of the tire will flex alot more ( longst dimention )and reduce the contact patch i didnt listen to the mud tire reason

.... the less air space u have under pressure the less force u have pushing out I.E. A METAL CUBE w/ 10 cubic feet of air space will bow out at 3 psi where a METAL CUBE w/ 1 cubic foot of air space will at 10 psi ( only a example dont try test it ) i used to test gas/hydrolice tanks at works we would pressure test them w/ 2.5 psi ( 4 psi ment run like hell and hope u told ur wife u love her allready .. u dont have time to call !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) they were big tanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jesus H Christ! Ok, here is what I got off the Continental Tire website:

"To properly check tire inflation pressure:
Check tire inflation pressure at least once a month
Use the correct inflation pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, not the pressure listed on the tire sidewall
Check tires when they are cold or haven't been driven for at least three hours

More than half of drivers -- 55 percent -- incorrectly believe that the correct inflation pressure is printed on the tire sidewall. "

Just incase some of you think that Kumho may for some reason be different than Continental, here is what Kumho has to say about proper tire inflation:

"What should I inflate my new tires to?
Air pressure should be set in accordance with the vehicle manufacturer's specification if the tire size is the same as a size originally available for your vehicle. The vehicle manufacturer's recommendation can usually be found in the owner's manual and on the door jam or glove compartment. Contact the vehicle dealer for more specific information about your car. Vehicle placard inflation would be the minimum recommended inflation by KUMHO Tire."

Before anyone spouts any more theories put forth by friends, neighbors, or their plumber, how about checking the recommendation of the tire manufacturer?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for that bit of information. I am sure we will all benefit from it.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
...especially the ones who think the correct pressure is written on the tires lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts