Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I’m from Ukraine. I have Ford Focus 3 1.6 PowerShift restile 2017 year of product. I use it from September 2018. Now it is near 15000 km. Time by time when I drive my car on the low speed I hear non comfortable knocks. Please, can you listen it on my video. Maybe someone knows what is it. I have an warranty but my warranty manager say that is normal)))
https://youtu.be/1XdfSm5JUVk
ThankYou

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone. I’m from Ukraine. I have Ford Focus 3 1.6 PowerShift restile 2017 year of product. I use it from September 2018. Now it is near 15000 km. Time by time when I drive my car on the low speed I hear non comfortable knocks. Please, can you listen it on my video. Maybe someone knows what is it. I have an warranty but my warranty manager say that is normal)))
ThankYou
Yes, that's normal to some extent based on your mileage. You will need the clutches replaced soon, the noise will get worse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ThankYou
Yes, that's normal to some extent based on your mileage. You will need the clutches replaced soon, the noise will get worse.
Thank you for your answer, but is this a huge mileage of 15,000 km (9,300 miles) for this clutch? Is it normal when, after 1 year of use, should I think about changing the clutch? Ford

·
Registered
179 Posts
No, that is not normal.

I think that answer missed a few points.

15,000 km. I'm pretty sure that he read that as 150,000, and probably miles. (I'm Canadian, I understand kilometers.)

I had been given to understand that the European models no longer had the Powershift transmission, but if you have one, that's potentially bad news. I'd find another dealership and bring it in for diagnosis. It will be a different set, but it is likely that there is a problem that could and should be dealt with. Some noise is normal, due to the nature of the transmission. I don't usually hear mine shift, but I can if I'm listening for it, and more at low speed.

Some people have experienced clutch problems at around a year of use. It is worse if you typically drive in heavy traffic, with lots of very low speeds and stopping. Your mileage after a year is much lower than mine. I have more kilometers than you since February, and that with my car being in for repairs nearly a month.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for answers. I will try to find other Focus 3 with same engine and transmission for testin

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well....if warranty manager says 'it's normal'...how come it wasn't normal when you bought the vehicle? I'm assuming it wasn't knocking until it hit 15K?
Also is this the infamous DCT you have or a standard torque convertor auto. I thought the USA was the only market for the DCT and in a 2.0 litre version. If you are not sure on teh transmission type, you can key the VIN into the Ford Etis website and it should tell you what type of transmission is in the vehicle. In any event whatever type it is it shoudl be under warranty unless there are different warranty conditions in the Ukraine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well....if warranty manager says 'it's normal'...how come it wasn't normal when you bought the vehicle? I'm assuming it wasn't knocking until it hit 15K?
Also is this the infamous DCT you have or a standard torque convertor auto. I thought the USA was the only market for the DCT and in a 2.0 litre version. If you are not sure on teh transmission type, you can key the VIN into the Ford Etis website and it should tell you what type of transmission is in the vehicle. In any event whatever type it is it shoudl be under warranty unless there are different warranty conditions in the Ukraine.
What about your fist question, I do not know how, but he said that probably I did not hear it)))))
It was knocking until 7K). And other 8K I trying to achieve justice. What about my transmission - it is PowerShift 250 with dry clutch.
In Ukraine as I know we have international warranty conditions. But unfortunately our people have an other mentality))). On Monday I am going to visit official service Ford again
I checked my vin on this site - Focus 2014-, 1.6L Duratec Ti-VCT (123PS)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about your fist question, I do not know how, but he said that probably I did not hear it)))))
It was knocking until 7K). And other 8K I trying to achieve justice. What about my transmission - it is PowerShift 250 with dry clutch.
In Ukraine as I know we have international warranty conditions. But unfortunately our people have an other mentality))). On Monday I am going to visit official service Ford again
I checked my vin on this site - Focus 2014-, 1.6L Duratec Ti-VCT (123PS)
It is not right sentence “It was knocking until 7K)” - I meant "knocks with 7K"

·
Registered
203 Posts
Are there any other Ford dealers you can try for a second opinion?
Also in North America there is a 'clutch slippage test' that the dealer runs if they suspect issues with the clutch packs. That's not to say that your problems are to do with the actual clutch packs. Is there any shudder when moving off from stop or when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd.or are the shifts smooth?
I haven't looked at your vid, I'll take a look when I can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also in North America there is a 'clutch slippage test' that the dealer runs if they suspect issues with the clutch packs. That's not to say that your problems are to do with the actual clutch packs. Is there any shudder when moving off from stop or when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd.or are the shifts smooth?
yes we have other dealers and it is good idea, I think I will try. Yes, there is shudder. But I think that these knocks from transmission PowerShift not clutch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is only one dealer and a lot of sub dealers with one data base ))) I think that this knocks from transmission PowerShift not from clutch. Yes, there is shudder in both of situations that you described

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello to all. My story with a knocks on a PowerShift transmission fortunately ends. Today I was at the dealer, and the repairman told me that they drained the oil from the transmission and saw small metal particles (shavings) in it. And now they are going to replace the complete assembly with a new one. Many thanks to all for the tips and useful information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts