Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed there's a snap in element on the two small grills in the front? I wonder why they are there, or what would go in there in their place.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I haven't looked behind them, but perhaps when taken out they allow better cooling in hotter climates. Why else would the fake grill not be one piece. It could be a great place to mount brake cooling ducts.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake cooling ducts makes sense. I'm sure there will be upgrade kits in the future.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look at what you are referring to but, I'll add my 2¢ anyway. I look at my car, (especially modern cars), designed for efficiency and best performance, with its sophisticated engine components, body parts and overall design, built to stay as it is. Other than parts that have been designed and tested to enhance, not affect the performance, I say leave well enough alone. The front grille, with the shutters, style and fit to the other body parts were designed by engineers with bigger brains than mine. If it snaps out, then there must be a designed part to snap in which won't affect the aerodynamics and fuel economy. I don't fault people who mod their cars, tasteful and well done mods are really cool and make your car unique, I just feel you have to select what you do with the bigger picture in mind.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'll be removing the driver side one and running a hose from the bottom of my airbox to that opening for ram air. Looking around the engine compartment, it seems that's the only place to get cold air from. So I think when we see the CAIs hit, those who use them will have to remove this snap in cover anyways. .....I only worry about those that are blocking it with DRL right now.... Just saying. I could be completely wrong.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you put the cold air intake that low wouldn't there be a risk of pulling water into the engine in a heavy rain? I have heard some Acuras had that problem with the factory setup in the wheel well.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
I suspect, without actually being able to look at a '12, that those could be where the tow hook would get screwed in on the European cars, since we don't use anything like that here in the States.

Mike

·
Registered
533 Posts
I suspect, without actually being able to look at a '12, that those could be where the tow hook would get screwed in on the European cars, since we don't use anything like that here in the States.

Mike
Hi, nope as there is nowhere to screw the eye into. On the euro cars it is here:

Chris

·
Registered
542 Posts
If you put the cold air intake that low wouldn't there be a risk of pulling water into the engine in a heavy rain? I have heard some Acuras had that problem with the factory setup in the wheel well.
It depends. When I installed a cold-air intake on my 09, the filter end was right behind the left from fog light. There's a splash guard beneath it and behind (but not all the way across to the right side) so there is no direct line of sight from the wheel well to the filter.

I don't think it's in the nature of water to come up and behind the splash guard if the car is moving forward...

·
Registered
223 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look at what you are referring to but, I'll add my 2¢ anyway. I look at my car, (especially modern cars), designed for efficiency and best performance, with its sophisticated engine components, body parts and overall design, built to stay as it is. Other than parts that have been designed and tested to enhance, not affect the performance, I say leave well enough alone. The front grille, with the shutters, style and fit to the other body parts were designed by engineers with bigger brains than mine. If it snaps out, then there must be a designed part to snap in which won't affect the aerodynamics and fuel economy. I don't fault people who mod their cars, tasteful and well done mods are really cool and make your car unique, I just feel you have to select what you do with the bigger picture in mind.
While I can see your point, I beg to differ to a certain extent. Engineers tweak modern cars, especially for a mass marketed car like the Ford Focus, for as numb of a ride as possible. The typical American consumer does not care about driving dynamics, they care about cupholders, SYNC, having the car park itself, etc. Ford knows this, which is why they spend a lot of their R&D into these items. Meanwhile, the fun-to-drive factor suffers.

With the Focus we're lucky to have a car that is not so numb. It is based on a European chassis which is why its a bit more fun than other offerings in its class. Still, tires/rims/brakes and suspension tweaks would make this car a hundred times more fun to drive.

So while I agree with you that Ford engineers know what they're doing.. they do, but they're applying their knowledge to a market that doesn't care about driving dynamics. The Focus is a great car, and handles amazingly, but I definetely think there is room for improvement there. Like you said, tasteful mods with the bigger picture in mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts