Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New to the forums here so hello to everybody!

I've recently bought a 58 plate Focus 1.6TDCi 110 DPF hatch, which is a beautiful car, and the engine is very sweet. However, I've noticed a brief knocking sound on start-up of the engine - initially when it was cold outside, but it still does it now that it's got a bit milder. I've had the bonnet open when starting, and the noise *seems* to come from the belt area. The sound lasts only 5-10 seconds at most, but becomes more pronounced if I switch on things like heated windscreens, which also seems to suggest something belt-related, as the extra load goes onto the alternator.

I'm taking it back to the dealer on Thursday for them to have a look, but any advice would be gratefully received. Apologies if this has already been brought up in previous threads!

cheers,

Paul.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Possibly a accessory belt tensioner or timing belt tensioner. Though it may just be the typical diesel knock, I've never heard a Focus diesel though. Typically though in the cold it takes a diesel a bit longer to warm up and in that time they add lots of fuel. Lots of fuel and low rpm create slight knock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts - taking it to the dealer tomorrow for them to have a look. I initially thought of the cold weather diesel knock, but it's not actually coming from the block - it seems to come from the belt/alternator area, which adds credance to that theory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi Paul, just aquired a 2002 focus 1.8 petrol which has only 60,000 miles and full history, it drives great and is really nice, just noticed this knocking noise when starting which seems to disappear when warmed up, i know yours is diesel but what did the dealer say when you took it to them, hope you are still out there, cheers, derek

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'm going to say water pump, but those generally knock like the engine is coming apart and don't stop knocking. You really should try to use a probe to listen and see where the sound is coming from. For this we use something like a long screwdriver, dowel or some other long instrument. Then you put that on where you think the sound might be coming from, and cup your ear to the other side. It works great so long as you don't get your probe caught up in the belts. You might find out that it is just a cold diesel start up sound from the fuel injectors- but I doubt it because I think those injectors are electronic. I'm sorry I don't have more experience with the diesels, but they don't sell the little ones here in the US. I wish they did, I'd put one in my wagon (estate) right away. Ford's big oil buddies keep us from getting any real fuel economy increases. It's a sad state of affairs really.

What is a 58 plate TDCI anyway? I know what TDCI stands for, but what is the 58 plate thing? Are you running a hydrogen booster or something?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts