Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what it could be. knocking sound from the exhaust side when the engine is idling and it's audible from the cabin. I compare it to my parents' foci sound and mine doesn't sound too healthy. something is loose and knocking around or out of adjustment. I own the car for a bout 3 weeks now. it still under warranty, and hopefully what ever it is covered under warranty, but I want to know what it might be.

the car has only 50k km/ +- 30-35 k miles. who ever owned it before me drives a lot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 07 has a knocking sound at idle too. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the engine down in the back. It comes and goes though.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Could it be a heat shield on the exhaust? Have someone put it up on a lift and have a look.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 07 has a knocking sound at idle too. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side of the engine down in the back. It comes and goes though.
that's the exact same sound!

oh mine is manual. I'm just worry about it as I don't wanna put any money into the foci at this point.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a weird knock occasionally, mine happens when the AC is on, I've been told it's the ac compressor before and have had it replaced but no such luck yet on getting rid of it. Mine comes from the front though.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Is it present when you push the clutch pedal in? Some of our cars have a rattly clutch assembly. Something to do with the clutch disc or the throwout bearing. Its not really a big deal just annoying.

I have noticed the A/C knocking sound talked about above as well but mine is only really audible once you shut the engine down and listen to it wind down after shutoff. Not present with the A/C off.

Also our Dtecs just have noisy valvetrains which could be what you are hearing. Noisy injectors as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I can hear the injectors clicks and the valve terrain sounds. but this one is not valve terrain or injector and it seems that it's coming from the back of the engine (exhaust side).

I'll bring it in to fords dealer next week and see what they have to say. gotta love warranty.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, it isn't an injector. It isn't a heat shield, at least it isn't one on the exhaust manifold because I have a header and it's still there. It does kinda sound like it's coming from the clutch/flywheel area, but it doesn't change when I push the clutch in or let it out.

My car is a manual as well.

I just tried to get a video of it, but it's not making the noise today. I did find a rattle in my exhaust though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I also have a VF dog bone, the sound didn't change when I swapped it out, but I will check it next time I here the noise.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ok, the sound came back tonight and I managed to get a small clip of it. Ignore the loud clicking noises from time to time, I was putting the camera up to things to see if the sound got louder.

You can hear it pretty well from 21 to 14 seconds, and in the last 3 seconds I put it to the oil pan and you can hear it there as well.

So is that the same sound you have?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my lower engine mount was changed under warranty. the sound is still there. it's gone when I push the clutch in now. what's it might be?

·
Registered
54 Posts
mine does it to. 07 zx3 same sound as the vid. Mine is the ac clutch and the throw out bearing or piolt shaft. Dealer said it was normal. The sound is wrose with the air on but when i turn the air off i can still here the clutsh noise. When i turn back on the ac clutch the noise gets about 50% wrose.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
my lower engine mount was changed under warranty. the sound is still there. it's gone when I push the clutch in now. what's it might be?
Alright here is the deal. I have this exact same noise. And it only came after changing out my clutch. Around a year ago I swapped out my stocker clutch for another updated clutch package from Ford. Went into the newer 07's and on. The difference was in the pressure plate. It was an entirely different design from the old one to alleviate some of the hard shifting problems (which is why I changed it). Everything I put in was new. Pressure plate, clutch disc, new flywheel and a new slave cylinder. Everything was installed perfectly and the clutch works great except for this one little noise that I have now. It has something to do with either the flywheel/clutch assembly rattling kinda like an aftermarket one (lightweight flywheel sounding) or the slave cylinder.

Like you said it is only audible when the clutch is not pushed in. So something happens when pressure is put on the clutch system that makes it go away. It might just be a rattly throwout bearing on the slave who knows. I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I can almost bet its something to do with the new pressure plate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts