Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2012 st mk3 I started getting a knocking noise which is now pretty loud inside the car, it sounds like it is behind the dash but nothing is loose. Iv changed the high pressure fuel pump and still the same. Anyone had the same problem as I cannot find out what this very annoying noise is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi I have a 2012 st mk3 I started getting a knocking noise which is now pretty loud inside the car, it sounds like it is behind the dash but nothing is loose. Iv changed the high pressure fuel pump and still the same. Anyone had the same problem as I cannot find out what this very annoying noise is.
Does it happen under throttle and sound kinda like an amplified rpm engine noise/rattle?

I have been getting a weird noise ever since I had my 02 sensor replaced + installed a Steeda CAI. It sounds kinda like the noise the sound symposer pumps into the cabin but a rattly, off pitch version of it. It sounds like it’s coming from behind the gauge cluster area of the engine compartment. I can’t figure out what it is either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: My st Boo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it happen under throttle and sound kinda like an amplified rpm engine noise/rattle?

I have been getting a weird noise ever since I had my 02 sensor replaced + installed a Steeda CAI. It sounds kinda like the noise the sound symposer pumps into the cabin but a rattly, off pitch version of it. It sounds like it’s coming from behind the gauge cluster area of the engine compartment. I can’t figure out what it is either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it does still happening now over time it’s getting louder. Iv changed the fuel pump and it wasn’t that but now changing the cat as it could be that rattling 😂

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes it does still happening now over time it’s getting louder. Iv changed the fuel pump and it wasn’t that but now changing the cat as it could be that rattling

I just spent the past 4 hours taking apart the intake and RE-installing everything to try and find & fix that damn rattle lol. When it was out I checked for rattles and noticed a couple things; the metal plug on the bottom of the intake box was really loose and one of the sound symposer bolts that secure it to the battery box was also loose.

I tightened up both as best I can, unplugged the sound symposer power cable and reinstalled everything. The metal plug at the bottom of the intake that fits into the grommet is hard to secure and I’m afraid it will come loose again. I didn’t have loctite or anything so I’ll pick some up at the store next time. I hope it stays secure, we will see.

I’m hoping those changes will solve the weird noise I am hearing. Excited to see what it sounds like w/o the sound symposer. Also, I regret not having the delete kit on hand because it would have taken me an extra 10-minutes to remove the symposer with everything out already.

This bolt was loose. I tightened it as best I could but it still isn’t completely snug.

This metal screw plug at the bottom of the box came really loose. I tightened it but it’s till not very good and I think it will happen again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts