Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car is almost ready to roll. Today the shop calls me and tells me that they were data logging the test drive and the car was sluggish. They said that the timing was messed up. They said it was around 15 and should be over 20...I have no clue what all that exactly means. They said it could be the knock sensor. They said they could replace the knock sensor, or just tune the car to remove the knock sensor.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Go to a different shop.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
The last thing you want to do is remove the knock sensor.
While it is a bit sensitive, and may cause a few hicups in the timing here and there,
without it you run the risk of major engine damage from detonation if it's just "tuned" out.
^^^Or, the tune would have to pull (retard) so much timing, it'll run like crap.

I'd ask Tom (Focus Power forums 1turbofocus) what his thoughts are.
He's just a bit more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. [;)]

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
J&S ultrasafeguard comes to mind.....

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The car is at a VERY reputable shop (even with Ford Foci).

Should I just go ahead and get them to put a new knock sensor on?

I am ordering a tuner from Tom on Monday.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just talked to the shop. They said the car has constant knock and the timing is low. The car is also throwing a code for a knock. He said if I ran it like it is, the catalytic converter could get burnt up.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
what is done to the car? and is it your mustang or a focus?

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Something sounds fishy , The knock sensor checks for more then just knock alone , I would find a diff shop if they cant answer this simple problem looks else where for tuning , why are they even driving it if it has knock issues ?

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts