Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the legendary knock sensor malfunction code. I was wondering what I have to do to replace it. haven't found much after a half hour of research. Here's the questions i have.
1) I have a JRSC do i have to remove it?
2) It could just be the wiring, how do I inspect that.
3) Can I just reach in from underneath?

·
FF Affiliate
31,169 Posts
Your knock sensor may not be bad , who tuned it , if they turned off your knock sensor and your getting knock that will set the code

If your knock exceeds the tunes max allowable knock sensors setting that will set the code

Your knock sensor is located below he intake , between Cyl 1&2 in the block above and to the left of the oil filter , it on a stud and round looking with a 6-8 inch wiring and a 2 wire plug in

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,169 Posts
Not at all , piggyback is the worst thing you could do , the SVT has learning and can over learn some of that your telling the piggy back to do

You can buy the Pro Racer Package from me or I can do you a nice custom tune using the xcal4 and my custom tuning and you dont have to bring me your Focus

The stock ECU is the easiest , cheapest , safest way to go

Tom

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I could take the piggy back out and have no issues as long as i replace the knock sensor? It's been a code since I've bought the car. I've ran it hard many times and its still running great. My ECU will learn that it has boost? You're certain of that?

·
FF Affiliate
31,169 Posts
Your ECU will try to do what it has been programmed to do OVER your piggy back system

Your ECU wont learn boost

You will have to buy a xcal4 flasher and a full custom tune

What piggyback system are you using now ?

Tom

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
So I could take the piggy back out and have no issues as long as i replace the knock sensor? It's been a code since I've bought the car. I've ran it hard many times and its still running great. My ECU will learn that it has boost? You're certain of that?
Don't take the JRSC black box off. It was included with the kit . Hell it was sold that way by Ford Racing. When someone has a vested interest in selling u a tune, take their advise with a grain of salt.

3. U can reach it from underneath. Easy to do. I've done it once.

·
FF Affiliate
31,169 Posts
First he has stated he has a piggy back on the ECU not the black box

Second I have given him many reasons for the code he is getting , its very rare that the knock sensor goes bad

Third the black box was a piece of crap from the beginning 95% of all jrsc owners will tell you this

I am telling him what I am telling him for his engine safety , I dont care where he buys his tune as long as he gets a safe tune on it , He could be getting the knock sensor code from the knock sensor exceeding the amount of knock the ECU is set to retard in the stock tune , if in fact he has the black box it retards or addresses no timing , it only grounds the injectors so they go wide open at a given amount of TPS / BOOST , the black box is very bad to go bad and if his air fuel isnt right then with 10.2 compression and the AF off that could be making it knock

Yes his KS could be bad but it would be rare and he needs to check the tuning for engine safety and to confirm his KS is bad before just throwing parts at it

I dont offer advise only to sell something , I offer it from experience , I dont do this for a living and it isnt about the money

Tom

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
First he has stated he has a piggy back on the ECU not the black box

Second I have given him many reasons for the code he is getting , its very rare that the knock sensor goes bad

Third the black box was a piece of crap from the beginning 95% of all jrsc owners will tell you this

I am telling him what I am telling him for his engine safety , I dont care where he buys his tune as long as he gets a safe tune on it , He could be getting the knock sensor code from the knock sensor exceeding the amount of knock the ECU is set to retard in the stock tune , if in fact he has the black box it retards or addresses no timing , it only grounds the injectors so they go wide open at a given amount of TPS / BOOST , the black box is very bad to go bad and if his air fuel isnt right then with 10.2 compression and the AF off that could be making it knock

Yes his KS could be bad but it would be rare and he needs to check the tuning for engine safety and to confirm his KS is bad before just throwing parts at it

I dont offer advise only to sell something , I offer it from experience , I dont do this for a living and it isnt about the money

Tom
hey man, you could be the god of tuners for all I know, and the most generous.

however, all I heard in your post was you suggest he run a SC vehicle on the stock tune. and in the same breath you said he should buy your tune. that's how it came across to me.

my only point was he should not be hasty and start boosting without any tune. It hasn't blown up in its current configuration so he should keep researching and learning before doing anything rash.

I'm out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts