Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finding the shiny stuff in the sludge under the valve cover I decided to pull the pan and check out the rods. Didn't take long to figure out the issue, the first rod I pushed had about 1/4" of play. I pulled the cap and found the rod bearing was pretty deformed and the journal was scratched up as well. The bearing looks as if it was widened out, and there is a pretty good sized ridge along 1/2 of one side of the crank journal, and the other side about 180 degrees away.

So, what's the general consensus here? Pull the engine get the crank ground and put it back together, or go with a salvage engine?

It looks like there's a lot of them on ebay for under $600 with shipping.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I dont know which way would be cheaper, but it all depends on what you feel like doing. For me, it would also depend which option has the lesser amount of miles. If you have say 100k miles and can rebuild it for $600, while the salvage engine has 150k, then I would rebuild. Vice Versa too.

Either way, you have to do something, just all depends on how far in you want to go.

·
Registered
17,170 Posts
1/4 inch of play and the gouging on sides says that crank not gonna grind and the issue of finding those who do it competently now anyway. A quickly dying art. May not even have oversize bearings to fix with.

·
Registered
183 Posts
With the amount of damage you described the engine is junk unfortunately. If you can find a machine shop, trying to get it rebuilt will most likely cost more than a replacement!.
Get a comparable or lower mileage JY engine and replace it!!! Call it good and don't look back! [woot]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
With the amount of damage you described the engine is junk unfortunately. If you can find a machine shop, trying to get it rebuilt will most likely cost more than a replacement!.
Get a comparable or lower mileage JY engine and replace it!!! Call it good and don't look back! [woot]
Thats what I'd say also.^^^^^^ turn the crank, resize the rods, bearings for a regular redo. Then how far do you go? Dingo ball/ light hone the block, rings, oil pump? The mzr has fractured split rods. You should have a great choice of 20's out there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's a JY engine?
I saw a couple 2.0 engines out of a transit connect that are listed as fitting the 2008,are they a straight drop in replacement?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah transit engines are the exact same, just check the intake to make sure it has the tumble flaps that may be the only difference. JY is junk yard

·
Registered
183 Posts
A good number of JY's will sell the block without any of the accessories bolted on the engine, such as intake, exhaust, alternator, PS pump, electronics etc....

Transit connect is essentially a ford focus drive-train.... The engine block is the same.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Isn't this a common (ish) problem on the duratec engine? I have seen so many 2.0 and 2.3 duratecs with spun rod bearings. I have a feeling that if you get a JY engine you will be going through the same problem down the line. But this is coming from a SPI owner so I shouldn't be talking lol

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Isn't this a common (ish) problem on the duratec engine? I have seen so many 2.0 and 2.3 duratecs with spun rod bearings. I have a feeling that if you get a JY engine you will be going through the same problem down the line. But this is coming from a SPI owner so I shouldn't be talking lol
They need oil & w/ only 4.5qtrs. Do a bsd on the 23 & then it'll hold 6qtrs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts