Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound file: http://www.filedropper.com/voice002_1
Its a m4a file. You can play it on android phones, with VLC Media Player, or Windows Media Player.

I placed my phone up under my engine area while it was running and recorded this noise. At one point later in the recording I placed the mic directly against the oil pan in a few locations.
I also stuck my listen stick (broom stick with rounded ends) up against it and heard this noise clearly.

I assume what I am hearing is my connecting rode and crankshaft, or maybe even a piston. Compression test a while back came back good so piston may not be it.

Ideas?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
637 Posts
You might get more responses if you take a video in yourtube form. If you hear it in the oil pan its most likely a rod bearing. Piston slap or wrist pin knock isn't very common on these cars. What motor do you have? I've seen crank walk in the spi. If its a duratec its most likely a rod bearing.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ok so I looked at you profile and I see you have a duratec. Just with that said I'm 99% sure you have a spun rod bearing. Common.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't there be metal shavings in the oil? I just pulled the pan and I have magnet on and of oil drain plug - both showed no metal shavings.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oil filter probably cought it. That's what its supposed to do. If you have the pan off, try and wiggle the rods up and down, side to side. If there is ANY play in one even in the slightest, the bearing is toast. This is actually more common than you think on the duratec. Oiling problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts