Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started feeling a knocking or thudding feeling coming from the clutch pedal when I was around 18000km and so took the car the dealer and they said everything was fine. I've driven to about 24000km now without resting my foot on the clutch pedal. So Two days ago I start resting my foot on the clutch pedal again to see in the knock is harder and sure enough it is much more pronounced especially around 2500-3000rpms. Could it be a piston rod going bad?

Please help! maybe some can do an experiment and rest there foot on there clutch while they accelerate hard though 3000rpms and tell me if you feel anything funny. Duras only please.

Thanks guys for any help.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
don't rest your foot on the clutch, good way to destroy a thow out bearing.

it's probably your throw out bearing rocking backand forth

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wickedgreyzx3 said:
don't rest your foot on the clutch, good way to destroy a thow out bearing.

it's probably your throw out bearing rocking backand forth
I'm not putting any real presser on the pedal just enough to get a feel for what is shaking in the engine. It is an old trick a mechanic (Grand Master mechanic) friend of my fathers taut me in order to feel any funniness going on under the hood.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Not to sound stupid but when you say piston rod, are you talking about the actual rod inside the motor... lol I know stupid question but I want to make sure.

If so why would you feel it through the clutch and not the accelerator or both??? I don't think that it is a piston rod.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Theres a clutch TSB on that one also, its 05-26-6

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WickedlyFastST said:
Not to sound stupid but when you say piston rod, are you talking about the actual rod inside the motor... lol I know stupid question but I want to make sure.

If so why would you feel it through the clutch and not the accelerator or both??? I don't think that it is a piston rod.
OK, I can see I need to clarify, my bad. I am talking about a piston rod bearing upper or lower. It is quite a knocking sensation that I feel that has definitely worsened.

I CAN feel it through the gas pedal as well as the clutch. It is just stronger and clearer through the clutch as it is more directly connected to the engine, I assume. The gas pedal is just a piece of plastic that is hinged rather loosely to the under part of the dash. One thing I just though about, maybe if I press against the stick slightly till I can feel vibration from the trany and engine assembly, while I'm passing through 3000rpms, maybe I'll get even better feel. If I do have a rod bearing going I'll surly feel it through the stick.

Thanks for you replies so far, but if anyone else can tell if they feel a particularly strong knock or anything at all through there clutch I would greatly appreciate it. If most people have this sensation then it IS probably something else that is normal and so I can relax about it.

Thanks again for any help or thoughts what-so-ever.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So no one noticing this ay?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well just got back from the dealer. I had the service manager take the car out with me and he did feel the knock and thinks it may be something in the clutch itself. However he is going to wait and see it it gets worse. I aparently have the 100 000/5 powertrain warrenty on the car. So if anything goes wrong with the engine or trany it will be covered. Guy was real nice and actually drove the car quite a bit harder then I do.

Something funny did happen while we were out though the guy stalled the car. LOL We wre sitting at a stop sign and he was explaining something to me while his foot was still pushing down on the clutch and a car had come up behind us and honked the horn at us. He nearly went through the roof. Scared the crap out of him and so he let out the clutch fogetting that he was still in gear. LOL The guy behind us was laughing his head off. It was some funny $hit!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Resting your foot on the clutch pedal is not a good thing to do. You wear out parts faster, and it's like riding on the clutch all the time....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts