Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 focus sel dps6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2012 sel with the infamous dps6 and 145k. Needless to say, I need a clutch but I'm a mechanic and I'm going to tackle the job because the dealer wants $1800. My question is what is the newest revision? I found a F1FZ-7B546-B online and just want to make sure it's the newest/ best option. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2012 focus sel dps6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have, I actually have watched many of his videos, he is very good at the modern ford stuff.

·
Registered
2012 focus sel dps6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it looks like that is the newest, from what I'm gathering. I've bought the clutch, release bearing, seals and specialty tools to do this job for just under $800. I'll update you guys with how it goes.

·
Registered
2012 focus sel dps6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got it apart and found the clutch forks rusty and one of them not sliding correctly so I went ahead and got new forks, got the job done saturday night and didn't really get to drive it much at all but thought I was good. I got 50 miles from home and bam there is the same stupid transmission overheating light...🤬🤬🤬🤬 so, other than selling it, what do I do?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do the 5-speed conversion?
That was my thought when I saw his question. The only problem is that he has already invested time and money into trying to fix the notoriously bad DCT.

Assuming he doesn't want a 5-speed conversion, fix it so the light's not on and sell it. Don't buy anything with a DCT.

·
Registered
2012 focus sel dps6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That was my thought when I saw his question. The only problem is that he has already invested time and money into trying to fix the notoriously bad DCT.

Assuming he doesn't want a 5-speed conversion, fix it so the light's not on and sell it. Don't buy anything with a DCT.
I would love it if this car had a 5 speed, but the only way I could find a 5 speed car was a couple of beat down S model or ST's and RS' is which I could not afford. I think it's a tcm problem at this point but it was just at the dealer right before doing the clutch and all they wanted to do was the clutch...

·
Registered
2012 focus sel dps6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is, the 14m02 should cover it up to 150k and I'm at 147k. i just took it to my local dealer and they are just dead set on trying to sell me a clutch job... They won't even consider the fact that I just installed a new clutch, seals, release/throwout bearing, input shaft seals, and clutch forks, just because I'm not a "ford trained technician" even though all parts were brand new Motorcraft parts. I'm about to cut my losses and trade it in on something else, I may still consider doing a manual swap but I just don't know if I can afford it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s amazing to me how Ford left it’s customers to be screwed over with this whole thing. Now people are buying the cars used and getting ripped off.
It would be better for Ford to take all of them and throw them in junkyards or crush them.

·
Registered
2012 focus sel dps6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It’s amazing to me how Ford left it’s customers to be screwed over with this whole thing. Now people are buying the cars used and getting ripped off.
It would be better for Ford to take all of them and throw them in junkyards or crush them.
I've always been a ford guy through and through but I am now very disappointed and it looks like so many others are too over these cars.:cautious:

·
Registered
2012 focus sel dps6
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after mulling over the risks and costs of going the route of a tcm and possibly another clutch i decided do cut my losses and found a 5-speed. After the first clutch job and purchase I had about $5300 into the car... i took $1500 in trade and got a '13 se 5-speed with just under the same mileage for $4800 after tax tag ect... it still stings but an expensive lesson has been learned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts