Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No tune, no fuse switch!

I swapped my TCS/ABS unit for just a plain ABS unit that I pulled from a 2003 wagon at a local salvage yard. I drove it around for a week with no I'll effects. I did some research and cross referencing I everything lead me to believe that there isn't any difference in ABS control modules between SVT, drum brakes, and etc. I installed it right on my existing hydraulic pump and I didn't even remove the lines, I will admit it was tight space to work in.

The TCS light is completely gone like it was never optioned... if I pull the fuse, push the button, turn the key on, or spin the wheels the icon doesn't light or flicker; and the timing portion of the TCS is gone also. The ABS works too of course; not bad for $20 and an hour of time. If you can pick one up for cheap it might be the way to go.

ABS

TCS

TCS ---- ABS

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is this legit?! How come nobody has thought of this in the 9 years of the SVTF?!

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I just tuned it out of my 2 SVT's... and YES it was completely disabled on both cars through the tune.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
good work!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sadly I don't think it'll work for long. Pretty sure it will turn tail and surrender soon ... poor attempt at a jab of the French

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just tuned it out of my 2 SVT's... and YES it was completely disabled on both cars through the tune.
Nothing wrong with more than one way. [cool] I wonder if this would work for people that say they cant do it in a tune?

Sadly I don't think it'll work for long. Pretty sure it will turn tail and surrender soon ... poor attempt at a jab of the French
Why is that?

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like it! Can you tell us more about the install?
First I removed the airbox and moved the fusebox out of the way.

Jack up the car and you need to remove three 13mm nuts that hold the pump/module to the frame.

Wiggle the pump/module off of the frame and pull it to the front of the car, don’t get too rough with it because it’s still on the hardlines.

At some point unplug the module, the cover has a hinge on the top; release the cover from the bottom and swing it upwards. Pull the connector out.

There are two 4mm bolts on the top of the module and one at the bottom, the one down low almost seems impossible. When you break torque then you’re there.

(Once you break the torque on the little 4mm bolts you should be able to take the socket and unscrew it with your fingers easily, so you don’t have to deal with the “big” ¼” ratchet in the confined space.)

Remove the TCS and do the opposite. Start the car and do the wheel spin antics of your choice.

Having an ORP or HFC might make it easier to get to the lower bolt because of its smaller size vs. the stock cat. Plus being 6’0” 160 probably played a part.

The proper way is to drain all the lines and remove the whole pump, I would say this method is less messy and less work. If you never want to install TCS again you can probably put a non-TCS pump on with the ABS module.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The only issue with this is if Ford used a different ABS strategy for the SVT.
They often do this for various Mustang models.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The only issue with this is if Ford used a different ABS strategy for the SVT.
They often do this for various Mustang models.
The operation of ABS shouldn't really be an issue... the action of trapping and bleeding the fluid at the required channel isn't done per programming but it's rather a matter of wheel speed deceleration. I know the MTX75 uses a speed sensor on the ring gear for the speedo but I'm not familiar enough with the MT285 to know if it provides vehicle speed or if it's calculated through the ABS module.

I know for certain the ABS unit provides brake proportioning but I don't know if its a mechanical deal designed into the hydraulic unit or if it's done electrically.

Go bomb the brakes from 70 to 0 (safely) for us and tell us what happens[cool]

It's too bad nobody can reconfigure the ABS module.... I'm guessing the people "tuning out" this strategy are simply removing the torque reduction spark retard in the PCM. IIRC the TCS button just removes drive-wheel braking but it doesn't remove the PCM's ability to reduce torque.

Your traction control is basically a line-lock system used in reverse. The extra solenoids control isolation valves that prevent brake pressure from reaching the non-drive wheels. Once these valves are closed, the electric pump provides hydraulic pressure to the drive wheels only thus providing drive wheel braking when you are ankle deep in the throttle. So...... if one where to wire these solenoids to the traction control switch (to be used like a momentray) it could be used like a line-lock to trap hydraulic pressure to the non-drive wheels so a good burnout could be had...

Factory line-lock is something I've been eager to arrange on a few friends' mustangs...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I also think the SVT has everything ABS electronic but it isnt through the ECU

Tom
It wouldn't be electronic then would it? [:p]

If it's done mechanically through the hydraulic control unit he should be okay. All he did was swap the ECU onto his existing HCU, right?

·
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom
2,293 Posts
I had disabled TC via tune, which worked, but then I just pulled the ABS fuse entirely to allow much faster braking @ autox

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had disabled TC via tune, which worked, but then I just pulled the ABS fuse entirely to allow much faster braking @ autox
CHAMBANA!!!

I'm originally from the C-U area.... Mahomet, specifically.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went out and disconnected the rear ABS sensor and the light came on, it turned itself off after 12mph, that's when the ABS ECU does its test. I just wanted to make sure it reads the rears.

I didnt just blindly slap a module on, someone posted on FJ that 2M51-2M110-EE is a 2003 SVT HCU without ABS. I googled that number and got the ECU #: Ate 10.0925-0119.3 / Siemens 5WK84031. I found all matching numbers in the salvageyard from the only car with ABS, even the HCU. I just took the ECU (and the guy didnt know WTF it was so he charged me $20). I put it on my existing HCU, like someone claimed in a single post a long time ago that nobody payed attention to I guess.

I've been slamming the brakes for over a week in the dry and the rain so far so good, 45-50 is about the highest I tested it.

I would like to know if the ECU I have and the ABS only SVT are exactly the same I cant find a positive yes or no. Plus do people that do SVT brake swaps on a regular Focus with ABS change their ECU also?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I went out and disconnected the rear ABS sensor and the light came on, it turned itself off after 12mph, that's when the ABS ECU does its test. I just wanted to make sure it reads the rears.

I didnt just blindly slap a module on, someone posted on FJ that 2M51-2M110-EE is a 2003 SVT HCU without ABS. I googled that number and got the ECU #: Ate 10.0925-0119.3 / Siemens 5WK84031. I found all matching numbers in the salvageyard from the only car with ABS, even the HCU. I just took the ECU (and the guy didnt know WTF it was so he charged me $20). I put it on my existing HCU, like someone claimed in a single post a long time ago that nobody payed attention to I guess.

I've been slamming the brakes for over a week in the dry and the rain so far so good, 45-50 is about the highest I tested it.

I would like to know if the ECU I have and the ABS only SVT are exactly the same I cant find a positive yes or no. Plus do people that do SVT brake swaps on a regular Focus with ABS change their ECU also?
I don't think the SVT ever came without ABS.... the traction control and heated seats were part of a winter package, right? If that's the case, I'd assume the ABS module (ECU) is identical across all focus models without traction control. The only unique part number I'd expect would be for traction control equipped vehicles OR if there was a part design/supplier change that superceded the existing parts. The motor/valves/accumulator unit (HCU) is certainly different between models due to rear drums/disk and traction control.

Either way, you have the correct HCU for your vehicle and a module that simply isn't capable of activating the traction control isolation valves. It may have a VIN mismatch code hanging around but it's ability to monitor wheel speed and prevent wheel lockup shouldn't be affected.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts