Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy a new sub, Kicker S12L7 or JL 12W6, what one should i get. Its going to be in a sealed box.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
What type of music do you listen to mostly? How big of box do you have? Are you open to other suggestions? If so, what is your budget? With that info, it will be easier to help you. Otherwise people might make assumptions and you may end up with something that you don't like or may sound bad to you.

Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
i personally would go with the kicker... they are both great boom subs,but the JL needs ALOT of airspace to move.. so if you have the room for a big ass box,then go JL.. but im a kicker fan myself and ive had both brands

Ted

·
Registered
714 Posts
JL Audio hands down for me.....i have never liked the way Kicker sounds.

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
VizualXtacyZX3 said:
i personally would go with the kicker... they are both great boom subs,but the JL needs ALOT of airspace to move.. so if you have the room for a big ass box,then go JL.. but im a kicker fan myself and ive had both brands

Ted
I do believe you are mistaken...if you look at the specs for the JL, the recommended enclosure size is 1.25 cu. ft., the Kicker on the other hand would be the one that would need up to double that to sound anywhere near as good as the JL, and it still will not sound better (a square subwoofer will rarely sound better than a circular subwoofer, of similar prestige, in proper installs. The square sub will distort more easily and potentially wont be able to play cleanly as loudly as a circular sub will)...I am NOT a JL fanboy, I am going off of what I have heard, what I have read and what I know from experience.

Also, the W6 is not a boom sub, it is more oriented toward an SQ setup, whereas the Kicker is much better suited for a SQL/SPL setup.

With all that said, I would recommend the JL.

Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
w6 is a sound quality sub, that can get loud.

L7 is a loud ass sub, not know for sounding great.

not saying the L7 cant sound ok.. just more orientated to get loud instead of sound good.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
JL Audio FTW.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
between those two choices i would go with the jl. the kick l7 seem to break pretty easily, and they dont sound that great.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Way back when in 2002, this guy I knew had a pair of JL 12's and a Legacy 1000w amp. Even though Legacy isn't known for awesome performance, those JL's were ROCKIN.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The sub is only half of the equation. Your enclosure is just as important as the woofer, as is designing you enclosure to the characteristics of the vehicle. As far as some of the comments above...everything is relevant to a biased opinion. Just cause a "friend" of yours blew up a "brand x" sub, doesn't mean they suck, or aren't a good woofer...chances are the guy was usuing them improperly, or just a plain jackass. Both are great subs, both will work great if used in the proper way. Both have great potential for SQ and output. It's all about personal taste.

That being said...I CAN tell you that the Kicker WILL give you better output in smaller sealed enclosures due to it's cone mass, BL product, and efficiency. I have used them in enclosures as small as .75 cu. ft. and was still impressed with SQ and output. But choose for yourself! Thats why there are a bunch of different brands on the market, cause people want to have their own choice.

...just my two cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts