Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an intermittent issue with their touch handles to unlock the car? About 2/10 times, no matter what I do I can't unlock the door by touching the inside of the handle. The unlock button on my key works just fine. Does anyone else have this issue? Lock seems to always work. And I've made sure I'm not touching the outside of the handle, i.e. the black square.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have this problem when it rains outside. I've found that if the door handles are wet at all, it takes 2-3 tries (read: separate touches) of touching the door handle for the door to unlock.
Haven't had it looked at yet, and have no idea if this is normal, since I've got a handful of other issues I need to get taken care of and it will go in for it all at once.
I've only had the car about 1 month (bought used with 17800 miles, now 20,500 miles) , but my list of problems is adding up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't really associated it with rain/wet yet actually. Works in that sometimes too. Whoever sold it at 18k was a smart cookie. Sorry for the problems man.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I have the same problem (especially after rain) and haven't had it looked at yet. I guess TSB 14-0078 should address the problem. My coworker has a 2013 ST and apparently he doesn't even have to touch the sensor - just puts his hand in the area between the handle and the door and it unlocks. I don't know if there was a hardware change, but I don't recall mine ever acting that way even when it was new.

INTELLIGENT ACCESS SMART UNLOCK INOPERATIVE - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/27/2013
Some 2012-2014 Focus, 2013-2014 C-Max and Escape vehicles equipped with Passive Entry-Passive Start (PEPS) and Intelligent Access (IA), and with a built on or before 11/27/2013 may exhibit a customer concern of intermittent IA Smart Unlock function at the left or right front door is inoperative. This may be due to a salt, water, dirt film which has developed on internal components of the exterior front door handle.
They clean everything and apply SONAX® Polymer Net Shield on the antenna, sensors, and inner components of the door handle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts