Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I own a Ford Focus 2011. The car came with 2 keys which look like this:

and like this:

And I bought a keyless remote control key from Amazon, like this:

link for the Amazon key

And the key I bought from Amazon doesn't work.

What's wrong?

Thank you very much for your comments!

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
The Amazon "Fob" can be programmed for remote functions on the earlier generation Focus models. Except for color, it matches the factory fob in appearance.

It MAY be similar enough to the current keys to be programmed for the same push button functions, but there is NO RFID chip inside so it can't be used to operate the car. Can NOT be programmed in as an additional "key".

Hope this helps...

Luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot, Sailor and richkopena for answering. Sorry I did not make it clear enough.

I am aware that a complete key, like the 2 keys that came with the car, has two electronic parts: the 433 MHz radio that works with the car central locking system, and the transponder chip that works with the immobilizer of the car.

So when I bought the pink remote key fob from Amazon, I expected that it can be recognized by the car so that I can open/lock the car doors with it. Since its description on Amazon said it works with Ford Focus 2000-2011, I expected it to function with my car, which I bought in 2011. But it does not, and that is the question.

I guess there could be either 2 reasons:

- The one sold on Amazon is for US market only. My Focus 2011 was made in Asia. Ford cars sold in the US are different from those of European and Asian market. If it is the case, then it's weird. What's the reason for Ford to make different central locking system for different markets?

- The one I bought from Amazon has 4 buttons, while my original keys have 3 buttons. They are incompatible. If it is the case, I guess all Ford cars in US market use keyless entry key with 4 buttons. Could you US Focus owners confirm that?

Your comments are appreciated.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Sorry, can't confirm button count on newer models here. Older models like mine used the key fob like the Amazon one for remote functions.

Did a programming sequence from your owner's manual seem to work with it? (necessary step to make any work)

On our OLDER ones, key & fob were separate with a separate programming sequence for each. To program fobs, you just needed to have ALL the fobs you want to use on hand to enter ALL when doing the program sequence. For keys, you needed 2 good ones on hand for the owner to add a third.

My GUESS is that the sequence on newer models does key & fob at once, since they are now one unit from the factory. If your fob doesn't work after this, my GUESS would be that it isn't recognized because the full sequence couldn't be completed.

Hopefully an owner of a newer model from here can confirm current button count & program sequence.

Luck!

P.S. - Over here, the "new model" that we are calling GenIII, came out for 2012 model year. We had a North America Only GenII through 2011 which was identical to the first gen except for body/interior details. Key system HERE unchanged thru 2011. Amazon description is likely to match N.A. models....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is, my car (Ford Focus 2011, Asian market), or to be precise, the central locking system of my car does not recognize the pink keyless remote that I bought from Amazon, which is said to be working with Ford Focus 2000-2011.

My guess is that, US Focus cars (or central locking system of Focus cars) in the US are different from those of other markets. Which I don't understand.

Following this procedure: Insert an original key into the ignition; turn it from 0 to II and back and forth several times very quick (4 times), until a chime sound is heard. Now the central locking system of the car is in programming mode. Press any button on each of the remotes that need to be programmed. When I pressed a button on the original remotes, the car made a sound and the doors locked/unlocked, showing that the remote was successfully registered to the car. When I pressed a button on the Amazon keyless remote, nothing happened. ==> incompatible?

As far as I know, only when programming for the immobilizer (so that a complete key can start the car) then will you need 2 functional keys. For the remotes, just one key is enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts