Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Door keyhole cover or caps available?

With IA, there is virtually no use for the door's keyhole. Ford saving money by not including a plastic cap is pretty lame.

Anyone know of a website that sells caps for keyholes? Something cheap and plastic to stick in is all I'm looking for. I'm guessing I could get it painted to match perfectly for cheap...

·
Registered
671 Posts
With IA, there is virtually no use for the keyhole. Ford saving money by not including a plastic cap is pretty lame.

Anyone know of a website that sells caps for keyholes? Something cheap and plastic to stick in is all I'm looking for. I'm guessing I could get it painted to match perfectly for cheap...
Edit: Er are you talking about the door handles or the steering wheel?

The keyhole should have a plastic cap, mine was actually "missing" and my salesman said he had to place an order for it as they did not have the part and, I looked in the center console arm rest and there it was just sitting there...look around your car it might be laying around somewhere lol

You should tell your dealer, it should not come out of your pocket.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Eh? The keyhole should have a plastic cap, mine was actually "missing" and my salesman said he had to place an order for it as they did not have the part and, I looked in the center console arm rest and there it was just sitting there...look around your car it might be laying around somewhere lol

Door handles.

Ah. I was watching a youtube video and the guy mentioned the Focus didn't come with a cap. Guess he hasn't looked yet!

·
Registered
29 Posts

The keyhole should have a plastic cap, mine was actually "missing" and my salesman said he had to place an order for it as they did not have the part and, I looked in the center console arm rest and there it was just sitting there...look around your car it might be laying around somewhere lol

Do you have a picture of this cap? I don't have IA but there was a plastic cap in storage area in front of the cup holders.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Not the best picture but here you go, the cap is simply a round circular thing, flat, with an opening so you can remove it if you ever need to use your key i.e. if you run out of battery on your opener.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not the best picture but here you go, the cap is simply a round circular thing, flat, with an opening so you can remove it if you ever need to use your key i.e. if you run out of battery on your opener.

Is that a picture of the ST?

I wish we had the option for a 6 speed Manual

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I meant the door handle keyhole. It's so awkward.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cars haven't needed these for the past 5+ years. Every car has a wireless entry fob, but every car has a manual key hole. Saying ford did it to save money is a bit off IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
And the day that your battery in your key fob dies with IA, you can still use the key that inside of the IA fob to get into your vehicle. Granted, not likely to happen very quickly, but could happen, somehow.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm looking for the same thing. I'd rather have no keyhole visible at all, if possible.

Yes, that means if the battery goes dead I'll have to take off the cap...but that will probably happen 1-3 times in the entire life of the car...so I'm not worried too much about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine came without the cap. I asked the dealer about it several times and they never did find one for me. I ended up going to fordparts.com and ordering it myself; it was less than $4 and it just snaps over the cover. It looks better than the bare white plastic housing IMO.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Not the right part. We're not looking for the steering column cover, we're looking for a cover for the keyhole on the door handle (exterior of the car).

·
Registered
321 Posts
I found some websites selling keyhole covers for specific cars...like S2000's, Corvette's, & Infiniti's, but nothing for Ford. I'm sure one of them would fit, I mean how different are keyholes, really?

EDIT: for example, check out keytechniques.net

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wish it had a cover stock. My previous car (VW) had a cover that just looked like a part of the door handle. You just had to use the slide out key to pry the cover off so that you could access the lock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cars haven't needed these for the past 5+ years. Every car has a wireless entry fob, but every car has a manual key hole. Saying ford did it to save money is a bit off IMO.
You're right, may bad. Thinking about my Mom's old Subaru with remote keyless entry I can't remember her ever using her key to enter the car.

Remember: we're looking for a non-stock door keyhole cap, not the steering column one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wont the one on the back door also fit the front door?
That's a good question. I talked online with a nice fordparts.com person and they couldn't or wouldn't recommend any part for what I wanted to do. :(

I may just order the normal bezel for the keyhole and mod it at home then ask the dealer to swap it in for me...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts