Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2000 Ford Focus and the key won't turn. I had this problem before about a year and a half ago, and had to have the ignition replaced. I don't want to have to spend the money to do this again. Could I just hotwire it? Does anybody want to explain to me how this is done or point me in the right direction? Yes, I'm the legal owner of this car. [;)] Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Will

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
you have an automatic right? try jamming the gear shifter into park (P). sometimes the gear cable stretches and it doesn't fully disengage in the ignition showing that it's in park, then you can't turn the key. hope this helps

you really think someone's going to show you how to hotwire a focus lol [;)]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it's an automatic, but it's already in park. It's sitting in my driveway. And yes, I am hoping somebody will show me how to do that. Why wouldn't they? It's not illegal to hotwire your own car. But thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The getting it started is cake, took me 5 mins and I had not even looked on the web yet. I felt so smart till I realized that the wheel would not turn because the key wasn't turned. Duh. You can drill out your ignition, I did it with one bit and got the wheel lock removed and am driving it ghetto right now. I need to find a source for a new lock right now ut at least I'm driving it!

Check this link for drilling instructions: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54527

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you take off the bottom of the steering column, on the lefthand side there is a black plastic piece that all the ignition wires go to. It is directly opposite where the key goes. It was held on by a couple of tabs that when pushed in realese it. There is a small slot in it that the key truns when it is connected correctly. You now put your key in the ignition for the PATS system. Now you can twist the slot in the plastic piece with the tip of a key or screwdriver and the car will start.

Currently the black plastic piece is hanging below my steering column, I stick the key in the hole I drilled out, grab a generic uncut key from the console and twist the slot and start her up. Not pretty, but it only cost me $3 for a drill bit also! I've been using it this way for ~2 weeks now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot, I appreciate you help. Hopefully this will work and save me some money. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts