Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 zx3 and last night i ran into the dreaded key wont turn problem. after some quick googling i think i know what causes it, so my question is.. whats the cheapest, effective way to fix it?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Do you have 2 pats key? If yes

Buy new lock cylinder, have ford match the keys to Pats.

If no. Go to ford and cry, eat the $190 replacement and labor cost.

My tumbler has been boned out.. You know what I did? I took a 1lb dead blow hammer, put my spare door key in the cylinder and gave it a good wack and not my tumbler just gets a good love smack when getting in my car :p

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You might be able to get it to turn again by spraying WD40 inside the lock cylinder and tapping on the key with a hammer. Before you try that, go purchase a new lock cylinder from the Ford dealer, and have it keyed to your spare key. When the key turns, leave it in the ACC position. We have directions on here for changing the lock cylinder when the key turns, and when the key won't turn. If the key will turn one last time, then swapping the lock cylinder will take less than an hour. If not, then it will take most of a day because you'll have to drill out the old lock cylinder.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You might be able to get it to turn again by spraying WD40 inside the lock cylinder and tapping on the key with a hammer. Before you try that, go purchase a new lock cylinder from the Ford dealer, and have it keyed to your spare key. When the key turns, leave it in the ACC position. We have directions on here for changing the lock cylinder when the key turns, and when the key won't turn. If the key will turn one last time, then swapping the lock cylinder will take less than an hour. If not, then it will take most of a day because you'll have to drill out the old lock cylinder.
Please note. If you do not have 2 pats keys and your car at dealer they cannot match up the cylinder.. When I tried to have a new cylinder matched to my key they said nope. You need 2 pats keys or we need to replace the entire thing with new keys.. Made me quite sad.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Please note. If you do not have 2 pats keys and your car at dealer they cannot match up the cylinder..
That's incorrect or you've misinterpreted what the dealer told you.
If you do not have two programmed PATS keys, you cannot program a third key. Any locksmith can match any PATS key to a new ignition lock cylinder by cutting it as per a "normal" key. The PATS system "doesn't care" how the key is cut; it only cares that the PATS receiver gets the correct signal from the transponder within the key.
What whynot told you is the easiest and cheapest method.

·
Registered
357 Posts
But you cant have a new pats key programmed with just 1 key i was told. How do they get the signal from the normal key, as it would not start the car...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Here is the logic of needing two PATS to program more keys by the consumer.

If one key could do it then anybody with that one key could program yet another key, think parking lot attendant or non-Ford garage.

If you only have one key then a Ford dealership is the only one that can program more keys

I bought a repossessed 2005 Focus sedan, for my daughter. It only had one key, quick as a wink I had the Ford dealership program three more keys [max=4]
Now if somebody recognizes that car as the one they used to own and try their key it will not work!

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Before you try that, go purchase a new lock cylinder from the Ford dealer, and have it keyed to your spare key...
But you cant have a new pats key programmed with just 1 key i was told. How do they get the signal from the normal key, as it would not start the car...
You're right, you can't have a new PATS key programmed with a single key. You don't necessarily need to.

You're using a spare key - any key, PATS or not - as the template for the ignition cylinder. Think of the PATS system as having two security features: the age old normal "key-must-match-the-lock" method and the high tech "transponder-and-receiver-must agree" method. Each method works independently of the other.

Your spare key matches your main key. If you match the new cylinder to your spare key, it must also match your main key. Once you extricate your PATS key, replace the ignition cylinder with the new identical ignition cylinder, use your existing PATS key and you're good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright, so i only have one PATS key. its the only key i have, no spare at all. can i still replace it myself? i'm getting mixed answers

thanks for the quick responses guys!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Warning:
Just had this happen in my wife's Focus.
Doing exactly what You stated cost Me more than what it would have if I contacted a locksmith in the first place.
I have heard and seen people have success with this method,but when I tried it,it was more damage than Help.
I have much respect for whynotthinkwhynot and don't wish to start an argument.....but please proceed with caution.
Or call a locksmith.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
alright, so i only have one PATS key. its the only key i have, no spare at all. can i still replace it myself? i'm getting mixed answers

thanks for the quick responses guys!
So your exact situation then?
One PATS key, no spare at all, key won't turn in the ignition.

Is that one key currently stuck in the ignition and won't come out and it won't turn?
Or
Can you take the key in and out and just not turn it to the ACC position?
Or
Is the key stuck in the ignition but you can turn it to ACC?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright, exact situation: key will go in and out. it will not turn at all.... (i got stuck at camp and googled it and everybody said just to hit it, so in desperation i did and it worked, when i got home i took the key out and now it won't work again. i'm sure if i hit it again, i could get it to turn one last time if that matters). I have one PATS key and no spare at all.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
OK.
Buy a lock cylinder. Have it cut to your existing PATS key. (Get a non-PATS spare key while you are there.)
You now have a "new" matching ignition cylinder and PATS key.
Put a key in the old cylinder and attempt to turn it one last time to the ACC position. It is imperative that you do this as the lock cylinder can only be removed once the key is in the ACC position. (Makes sense, right? You need the "right" key to service the cylinder.) If you can turn to ACC, you then can use a pointed screwdriver to extract the old lock cylinder fairly easily through an access port in the steering column. If you can't get it to the ACC position and the key doesn't turn at all, you have no option but to drill the cylinder out (a big PITA).
Once the old cylinder is out, pop in the new cylinder. No key re-programming is required; PATS is happy because the key is valid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright, just ordered a new cylinder and set up an appointment with the lock smith.
thanks for the quick response and help guys. greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine stuck and when l got it loose l took the car to my fav.garage and they removed the lock and took it to a locksmith who cleaned it and repaired it,,cost me $73 total and guaranteed for a year,,they done lots of focuses and never had a call-back,,this way yu use yur old keys.....

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
You were told correctly, as it needs two previously programmed coded keys (ones that already operate your Focus's engine) and the new unprogrammed key.

~Natasha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts