Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some trouble recently with my ignition, the key won't turn when I put it in there so I have to tap on it, and sometimes even hit it kind of hard to get it to to free up and turn for me. It's not the way the steering wheel is turned, it's the actual ignition itself.. Last night while I was working my delivery job (bad timing at it's best) my key locked up and I cannot get it to budge to save my life. I'm guessing I need a new ignition lock cylinder, I was about to order one on rockauto.com, there are 3 options for my car, should I stick with the motorcraft one or go with a cheaper one? Also, is this a job for a do-it-yourselfer, or is this a more difficult task that I shouldn't mess around with?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Its a common problem with 2000-2004foci. Take it to a locksmith and have them put in a new cylinder.

Shouldnt cost much.

In the mean time, you can try what worked for me.. Firmly hit the key with your palm, as if you want to drive the key further into the cylinder. Sometimes that does the trick until you can get a to a locksmith to have it fixed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have been reading up on it a little and as soon as I get out of work I'm calling some locksmiths.

I had been doing that, it was working up until yesterday when my key decided to stay put no matter what I did. I even tried WD40 and what not..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts