Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I tried finding an answer before posting but came up empty-handed.

I recently bought a 2007 Ford Focus SE and I'm having an issue with the trunk lock. When I put the key in the lock and turn it, the key kind of gets stuck. I can turn it, but it doesn't unlock the trunk. And it takes some wiggling to get out of the lock. The trunk opens fine with the trunk release on the dash, but not with the key. I was wondering if anyone knows a fix...or what replacement part I'll need? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Hello all! I tried finding an answer before posting but came up empty-handed.

I recently bought a 2007 Ford Focus SE and I'm having an issue with the trunk lock. When I put the key in the lock and turn it, the key kind of gets stuck. I can turn it, but it doesn't unlock the trunk. And it takes some wiggling to get out of the lock. The trunk opens fine with the trunk release on the dash, but not with the key. I was wondering if anyone knows a fix...or what replacement part I'll need? Thanks!
It sounds like the lock cylinder is froze up or broken. Did you try to work some lock lubricant into it and then use the key to get it moving again?

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like the lock cylinder is froze up or broken. Did you try to work some lock lubricant into it and then use the key to get it moving again?

Paul
Yes sir, I used graphite. It made it a little smoother going in and out but it didn't help otherwise. It's weird - usually when you get to the end of the turn, one can feel the key turning a latch inside the lock mechanism right as it's unlocking. I don't get that - I get to the end of the turn and it's like I'm hitting a wall inside the lock. If that makes any sense!

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Most likely the lock is toast. They get that way simply because most people don't use them and it tend to get slop in them. You can replace it if you want but you'll obviously have to carry another key around since you won't be able to find one that matches the keys for your car.

Another possibility is the latch might already be a replacement that came from another car so the key does match already.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yes sir, I used graphite. It made it a little smoother going in and out but it didn't help otherwise. It's weird - usually when you get to the end of the turn, one can feel the key turning a latch inside the lock mechanism right as it's unlocking. I don't get that - I get to the end of the turn and it's like I'm hitting a wall inside the lock. If that makes any sense!
Go to a junk yard and get another trunk lock assembly. Looks like they go for $50-$60 new so you should be able to get a used one for half that +/-. Take the used assembly to a locksmith and they can transfer the tumblers/pins from the old froze up lock to the new so you dont need a seperate key. If you are mechanically inclinded and understand how the lock cylinder is configured and operates you could likely do it yourself.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve got a similar issue with my hatch, except the button doesn’t work either. Hoping It’s just a fuse, since none of the dome lights work either. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow when I dive into it.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I’ve got a similar issue with my hatch, except the button doesn’t work either. Hoping It’s just a fuse, since none of the dome lights work either. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow when I dive into it.
If it's not the fuses, check the hatch wiring that runs from the car to the hatch door. Very common for the wires to start breaking with age and causing all kind of electrical issue.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it's not the fuses, check the hatch wiring that runs from the car to the hatch door. Very common for the wires to start breaking with age and causing all kind of electrical issue.
I’ll give that a look too if the fuses don’t solve it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Interior lighting does not use same fuse(s) as door latches (GEM). You have more than one issue.

For your hatch lock issue check CJB fuses 32 (15A) and 63 (20A) (I too would suspect a wiring issue at the hatch umbilical). For your dome light issue check fuse 35 (7.5A).

Paul

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ended up being the switch and the wiring. Said F it and ran a new wire all the way from the fuse box to the latch and wired in a momentary switch on the bottom of the dash. Doesn’t look too out of place and works, so that’s all that matters to me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Go to a junk yard and get another trunk lock assembly. Looks like they go for $50-$60 new so you should be able to get a used one for half that +/-. Take the used assembly to a locksmith and they can transfer the tumblers/pins from the old froze up lock to the new so you dont need a seperate key. If you are mechanically inclinded and understand how the lock cylinder is configured and operates you could likely do it yourself.

Good luck
Paul
Well, this is what I found. The key is turning completely, but there is a black plastic piece on the back of the lock that holds the latch release cord/wire. When the key is turned, it pulls this latch release and opens the trunk with the key. But, unfortunately, the spot on the black plastic piece that holds the cord/wire has broken. So, I need to replace just that little piece.

Does anyone know if that piece is sold separately? Or will I have to buy the whole cylinder just to salvage that little piece off?

EDIT:

So, I took a picture of the piece in question. You can see that I tried - unsuccessfully - to super glue the end of the latch wire onto the black piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Well, this is what I found. The key is turning completely, but there is a black plastic piece on the back of the lock that holds the latch release cord/wire. When the key is turned, it pulls this latch release and opens the trunk with the key. But, unfortunately, the spot on the black plastic piece that holds the cord/wire has broken. So, I need to replace just that little piece.

Does anyone know if that piece is sold separately? Or will I have to buy the whole cylinder just to salvage that little piece off?

EDIT:

So, I took a picture of the piece in question. You can see that I tried - unsuccessfully - to super glue the end of the latch wire onto the black piece.
>>
Go to a junk yard and get another trunk lock assembly.
Paul
Maybe you can just get the plastic piece from the JY.

Good luck
Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts