Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying this car, recently... I ran into a stupid issue a few days in that was nobodies fault but my own.. I was wearing pants with a hole in the pocket, the key was on a thin key ring.. my car key, and ONLY my car key... managed to fall off the ring and through the hole and, in all places, the IKEA in Elizabeth, NJ.. I don't know how they are in other areas, but this store is huge.. lol

After almost spending $300 on a locksmith opening the car and somehow cutting me a new key when nobody else said they could do it since it was past the 10 years that the codes are kept.. last minute(almost a week after the key was initially lost), the key was found. Lucky me... lol

So.. I decided I definitely needed to get a copy made. Especially since the housing on the key I had was broken and the electronics are exposed... I took it to Home Depot and they were able to make a copy of it. Came to be about $70, but it's some crappy looking generic key that is literally multiple pieces to. The issue... This key DOES work... so, I can't exactly complain to them.. but it doesn't work constantly. I have to remove the key and wave it around like a mad-man, which probably isn't actually doing anything but make me look crazy, and retry, retry, and retry this key until it works. Sometimes it works first shot, sometimes it takes me over 5 - 10 minutes to get it to work.

Obviously, I'm not happy at all... What i'm curious of... I found these uncut keys on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/2001-Ford-Focus-Uncut-Transponder/dp/B0050I0EQC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_2

Has anyone managed to have one like this cut and programmed themselves? From what I understand, you can self program a key if you already have to working keys.. I can get someone to cut it easily, but it's the programming part i'm concerned about. I don't really care to spend the ridiculous costs a dealership would charge to program it(which every dealership said they couldn't make me a new key anyway since they all only keep 10 years worth of codes and I have a 2001 ZX3).

I even found one of these on ebay, which would be more interesting, but I'd rather waste $15 on a regular one to find out it doesn't work than $50 on this one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Remote-button-Blank-Uncut-Key-Flip-Transponder-FoB-Mercury-Ford-KFF-/330736694370?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2001|Make:Ford|Model:Focus&hash=item4d01717462&vxp=mtr#ht_1357wt_789

I just bought a normal key fob, that took me a week to get to program, so that'd be nice... The FOB I got has such a week signal output that I literally have to sit in the car to use it(which is redundant.. lol) or I have to touch the car to use the car itself to enhance the signal a bit.. lol

Any advice? I'm getting really tired of sitting in my car for 10 minutes trying to get it started every morning before work and after work. I'd be screwed in an emergency.. lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
On ebay from an ad like this it says if you have 2 keys you can program the new 3rd key yourself. First get it cut at HomeDepot. Then program it yourself with your other 2 keys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Lincoln-Mazda-Transponder-Ignition-Door-Key-Blank-Escape-Focus-LS-Tribute-/190684755029?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2000|Make:Ford|Model:Focus&hash=item2c65b27455&vxp=mtr

(Sorry it wasnt clear to me if you already have 2 keys or not - if you only have one key, the above self-program method wont work.)

"...Dealer programming is required if you dont have 2 keys..."

Regarding the FOB

You can buy a new keyless FOB on Ebay it should be stronger, maybe your FOB has a weak battery. Or try to change the battery yourself...it takes a coin cell battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the same key I linked from amazon. Although the one you linked ends up being cheaper. My concern is that the one I already got from Home Depot won't work to program the third key since it's barely working to begin with. Only one way to find out, I guess... lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
This guy has the 2 key to program 3rd key method outline in his ad...

Programming Additional Keys. Must have 2 Existing Pre-Programmed Keys.

1. Insert one of your original transponder keys into the ignition lock cylinder.
2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON and back to OFF.
3. Remove the existing key and, within 5 seconds, insert the second key and turn to ON and back to off.
4. Insert the new cut key before 10 seconds and turn to ON for 2 seconds and turn to off.
5. The security light on the dash will light up for 3 seconds to indicate success in programming the key.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-01-02-03-04-05-FORD-FOCUS-KEY-BLANK-/150830560434?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2000|Make:Ford|Model:Focus&hash=item231e33b4b2&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting.... I did not know that your car could program your key....
Yeah. Problem is that you need two already programmed keys to do this. I have an original and a crappy duplicate from home depot that turns just fine, but the transponder only starts the car when it feels like it. So, I'm just going to buy one of these from eBay and hope it works out. $10 isn't a big hit. It's the $70 I spent at Home Depot for a seldom working key that bothers me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK.. sorry to wait so long to respond. The keys I got worked out fine after cutting, but i couldn't program them myself. Once it was explained to me, I understood why it wouldn't work with the two keys I have, so.. I just ended up with two spare keys to get in the car, which is good anyway.

Back to the main issue though, the original Ford key I have doesn't work every time now. So, I'm pretty convinced it has something to do with whatever is supposed to be reading the chip in the key and not the keys them self. Maybe there isnt enough power to it? I bought a key fob too and it only works with i touch it to the outside of the car. None of the old tricks of holding to your chin or makeshift antennas are working. So i don't think its an issue with the remote. Just seems like an overall lack of reception with everything in the car. Any ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know what i can look into for fixing this issue? Google searches haven't gotten anywhere. Sorry, to double post, but its been almost a week. Hope that doesn't annoy anyone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Try pulling DTC's see if the car thinks it knows what the problem is.
You can do that by holding down the trip odometer reset button before turning the key to "run" then continue to hold it for another 4-5 seconds. Push the trip reset button to scroll through the display until it gets to DTC's.

Other than that, the receiver is on the column, it could be a corroded connection or some other intermittent issue.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just so people understand

A PATS key has an RFID chip embeded in the handle. When you insert the key into the ignition the computer reads the chip and if it's ID matches one of up to six IDs stored in it's memory your computer will work with it. If the cut pattern of the key matches the cyclinder then you can rotate the ignition switch and all works. If the chip does not match one of the 6 stored IDs, or if the computer is unable to read the key's chip, your computer will not start the car even if the key rotates the ignition switch. So even if your new key does have a PATS chip, if it is not paired with you car's computer so it will not work.

There are a couple of ways a locksmith can make a key for you:
DEFINITION: A "Master Key" is just a key whose ID has been paired (accepted and stored) into your car's computer.

1) Clone a master key: The key blank for these have an even fatter handle and do not have a FORD logo. After the locksmith cuts the teeth pattern, they read the ID from a "known working" key and write it to the newly cut key, hence you have a clone of the original key. In my experience these clones stop working in a couple of years. Also as far as your PATS system is concerned this cloned key does not count as a second master key.

2) Make a new master key: A new OEM blank is used, and it's chip already has an unchangable ID. The locksmith cuts the teeth and the key's ID is paired to your car's computer.

3) Pairing a new master: If you have two master keys (not a master and it's clone) you can pair it yourself. If you do not then the locksmith can connect a computer to your car and pair the new key in about 10 minutes.

I went through all of this on my Focus when the cloned master died. In the San Antonio area it cost me about $35 for a locksmith to create a new master from an OEM blank and pair it to my car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A PATS key has an RFID chip embeded in the handle. When you insert the key into the ignition the computer reads the chip and if it's ID matches one of up to six IDs stored in it's memory your computer will work with it. If the cut pattern of the key matches the cyclinder then you can rotate the ignition switch and all works. If the chip does not match one of the 6 stored IDs, or if the computer is unable to read the key's chip, your computer will not start the car even if the key rotates the ignition switch. So even if your new key does have a PATS chip, if it is not paired with you car's computer so it will not work.

There are a couple of ways a locksmith can make a key for you:
DEFINITION: A "Master Key" is just a key whose ID has been paired (accepted and stored) into your car's computer.

1) Clone a master key: The key blank for these have an even fatter handle and do not have a FORD logo. After the locksmith cuts the teeth pattern, they read the ID from a "known working" key and write it to the newly cut key, hence you have a clone of the original key. In my experience these clones stop working in a couple of years. Also as far as your PATS system is concerned this cloned key does not count as a second master key.

2) Make a new master key: A new OEM blank is used, and it's chip already has an unchangable ID. The locksmith cuts the teeth and the key's ID is paired to your car's computer.

3) Pairing a new master: If you have two master keys (not a master and it's clone) you can pair it yourself. If you do not then the locksmith can connect a computer to your car and pair the new key in about 10 minutes.

I went through all of this on my Focus when the cloned master died. In the San Antonio area it cost me about $35 for a locksmith to create a new master from an OEM blank and pair it to my car.
You lucked out, then. I'm getting quoted almost $100 for a clone, much less a new master. I've come to realize that the keys may not be the issue. My master key isn't always working anymore either. Could have just been coincidental that one would work and the other didn't. My new guess is that it may have to do with the wiring.. My clone has been working perfectly for a week or so now, until today, actually. Took me removing and retrying at least 50 - 60 times easy.

This is pretty frustrating. A few weeks back, I had a car riding my bumper on a hill. Red light came up. I let off the clutch too quick trying not to roll back into their car and stalled out. Took me almost a full minute to get the car started again when the key was never even removed.

I know this is starting to work its way into a different topic, but does anyone know of a wiring diagram or something for this stuff? Maybe something isn't making contact the way it should be?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, I know you said the Ford Dealership could not cut you a key[confused]. How many dealerships did you try? They should be able to cut you a key, even if they have to use one of your old keys. Once you get two master keys then you can get both of them programmed, programming the keys should not be an issue. To me, it sounds like the dealership you went to just did not want to do the work.

A 2002 Focus should use the exact same key as a 2001, to me it sounds like somebody was being lazy either in the parts or the service area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I know you said the Ford Dealership could not cut you a key[confused]. How many dealerships did you try? They should be able to cut you a key, even if they have to use one of your old keys. Once you get two master keys then you can get both of them programmed, programming the keys should not be an issue. To me, it sounds like the dealership you went to just did not want to do the work.

A 2002 Focus should use the exact same key as a 2001, to me it sounds like somebody was being lazy either in the parts or the service area.
I called three local dealerships. Its not that they couldn't cut a key, they just dont keep the electronic codes for vehicles past 10 years. I work for a Honda dealership as a parts driver. I deliver to another Ford dealership that isn't quite local to me pretty often, even they told me the same thing and I'm on a pretty friendly standing with them. I brought them the one master key that was given to me when I bought the car and they gave me the same story. =\

1 - 14 of 14 Posts