Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2001 Ford Focus and I've recently been having troubles with it. Everytime I try to start the car the key doesn't always want to turn..i have to play and jiggle it for a while before it will finally turn over. Is there anything I can do to fix this??

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Thats the biggest issue with these cars. Call me at 800-849-0233 and ask for Mike in parts. I will send you the new cylinder keyed to your vin number so your keys will work.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
There's instructions in a How-To here someplace... do it immediately. Once the cylinder locks up you either have to drill it out or drop $$$ on a locksmith. As long as the key still turns the swap is a piece of cake... 20 minutes at most. (You do need a set of star or torx wrenches, that's the only small catch)

Mike is the man! If you saw the list of people that he bailed out with ignition cylinders we could start our own forum : )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I actually did a search and came across several posts from Mike about this issue.

Luckily my girlfriend and I work for an aviation company and our company overhauls engines and accessories and I'm sure the talented boys out back would be happy to replace the part for her. As soon as we get the part we'll get the guys to do it ASAP. Hopefully the cylinder holds out till then!! Thanks for the info guys. :)

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
the cylinder needs to be replaced for sure, but to make sure it keeps working for the next few days goto an auto parts store and get a small tube of graphite powder and put some in the cylinder it should free it up for the time being but is not a long term fix

·
Registered
206 Posts
This mod I need. Desperately.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
I have no idea where people are staying use graphite lube that stuff is bad for the electronics that site behind it IE Key Insertion switch ( tells the car when the keys inserted and trips the dinger)

if you do use that crap use it extreamly light that crap will stick to your keys and stain anything it touch's grey XD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts