Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon.

I'm new to the forum, and new to the Focus. I had an 2012 Escape until about 2 weeks ago when I got a Ruby Red 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback with manual transmission. I'm really digging it so far.

The only thing I hate is the key. I have the "standard" key with the big bulky top part that houses the lock, unlock, panic, and hatch buttons. I recently purchased a keysmart thing that basically makes my house keys like a Swiss Army Knife. I love it. I think I could disassemble my Focus key, drill a hole in it and put it in my keysmart thing, but then I wouldn't have the buttons so putting it in there isn't really an option. I've been looking for thinner, or smaller key fobs that would work with my Focus, and there is nothing out there. I can't find anything about custom FOBs, or aftermarket FOBs. Is there somewhere that I can buy a smaller or thinner FOB, or somewhere that gives instructions on how to mod your key? I just hate having things in my pocket and if I have to have a key in there I'd like it to be as thin and streamlined as possible.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

I'm moving this to the MkIII general section, just because most threads on key/fobs are in this area.

You won't be able to remove the key & use it alone, as the fob includes the RFID chip that allows starting the car. MkIII combined the separate key & fob used on earlier models (still a thick key with plastic head for the chip) - I assume because of customer feedback to match other cars that use the integrated key & fob. European versions made the change earlier.

Haven't read ALL the key/fob threads on alternatives, others may be able to help more.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You can buy transponder keys without the built-in remote buttons, but they won't be a whole heckuva lot smaller.

I bought one of these to use as a spare, and it has given me no problems:

High Security 80 Bit Replacement Transponder Chip Ignition Key Uncut Blade Blank | eBay

That was a couple of years ago, and at that time, the few locksmiths who could cut them were charging an arm and a leg. That's probably not the case anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does it work if you install an after market remote start? It wouldn't have the RFID from the key, but it would start. Does an RFID get installed somewhere so it starts via remote? Can I do that, and maybe figure out a way to mod my own unlock/lock buttons?

Also, thanks for the replies! I really appreciate the input.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aftermarket remote starts will do a rfid bypass during remote start. If you really wanted to you could disassemvle your key and you will frind a little pill you can disassemble your steering shroud and attach pill to ignition switch. Or you can get a dei 556u and give it 12v constant and ground abd put spare key in it and the rfid will always be bypassed and you can figure out key and lock buttons.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Aftermarket remote starts will do a rfid bypass during remote start. If you really wanted to you could disassemvle your key and you will frind a little pill you can disassemble your steering shroud and attach pill to ignition switch. Or you can get a dei 556u and give it 12v constant and ground abd put spare key in it and the rfid will always be bypassed and you can figure out key and lock buttons.
This is not advisable as anyone would be able to start your car with just a screwdriver like the old pre-PATS days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts