Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Gals;

Looking forward to posting & sharing a lot of cool pieces of info here. I'm a bit of an info junkie. I did some searching before posting this and haven't found any direct answers, so before I head back to the dealership tomorrow I figured I'd ask.

I have a 1 week old 2012 Focus Ti Hatchback... and in theory I *should* be able to leave the key fob in my pocket, touch the inside of the handle and have the doors unlock. It worked great for the first 3 days and after that rarely works. The warning alarm just sounds.

It doesn't work until I take the fob out and either hold it right up against the car or I have to press the unlock button on the fob.

I'm a little disappointed and hoping this is just a quick fix.

Any suggestions? I've tried both FOB's and they're the same.

Cheers
-Adam

·
Registered
589 Posts
Your car must be defective. Mine works without a hitch and it's always in my pocket.

I would take it in.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Will do ;).... hope this isn't a long fix. I really don't want to have to give my baby up yet :(
Tell me about it! I took mine in last month for an alignment issue and MFT update.. Was gone for 2 days and had to suffer with a '11 Civic! I wanted to kiss my Focus after not having it for only two days. [:D]

Good luck with your issue.. hopefully it's a quick fix.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I wonder if maybe you got a unit with a low battery.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Perhaps being in your pocket, a botton was pressed down, and the battery is dying?
I would try a new battery, or the other fob to check it before taking it in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've only had my car 5 days but no issues leaving the key in my purse. I've used all 4 door handles and the hatch.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Make sure you are not touching the "black button" on the outside of the door handle. You push that part to lock the doors, and push it a second time to get the horn confirmation of locked.

From your description it sounds like that's whats happening.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL!!! That was EXACTLY what was happening. After reading here for a while and sleeping on it I realized I was covering the lock button while trying to unlock the door.

Woohoo! I'm so happy I don't have to bring Lucy (Yeah I named her :)) to the dealership.

Thanks for the awesome support guys!

Cheers
-Adam

Make sure you are not touching the "black button" on the outside of the door handle. You push that part to lock the doors, and push it a second time to get the horn confirmation of locked.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
LOL!!! That was EXACTLY what was happening. After reading here for a while and sleeping on it I realized I was covering the lock button while trying to unlock the door.

Woohoo! I'm so happy I don't have to bring Lucy (Yeah I named her :)) to the dealership.

Thanks for the awesome support guys!

Cheers
-Adam
Hah. Excellent. Glad it worked out for you. The day I picked my car up, before I really understood how they worked, I was doing the same thing. Grabbing the handle but my thumb was hitting the black spot. Trying to get in my car in a parking lot, horn beeping sometimes, apparently not knowing I had the unlock and lock in there fighting it out. I felt foolish after I figured it out.

Just an FYI, don't know if you know this or not but if you touch the inside of the driver's side handle it will only unlock the driver's door but if you touch the inside of the rear handle, it will unlock all four doors. Really convenient little feature.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup... tested that this morning too!

Girlfriend always thought it was strange that I had to get into the car to unlock her side when mine auto unlocks.

Looks like no escaping for me ;)

Cheers!
-Adam

·
Registered
296 Posts

I had the opposite problem my first couple of days. I would touch the black button to lock the doors with my fingers inside the handle and wonder why it didn't lock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts