Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought a new key case fob and am struggling to remove the circuit board from the old one and move it to the new one. There are two small pitches that are holding the cover on the circuit board, and they can not be remove easily.
I was wondering if you have an idea on how to remove it and be able to set it back on the new case as the new one doesn't have such a cover to hold the circuit steady.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
What I seem to see there says you destroy the fastener studs there to remove and may easily hurt board doing that.

If other case different like you say there is no way to tell you how to fit in that one with no pics of it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Looks like the new case has pins to use.

They look like they are used rivet style to hold the electronics assy. in place. Heat peened at the tips to lock in place.

Removal means careful cutting to remove the part that mushrooms over that board to hold it in position. Install can be done by touching the pins with any heated piece of metal to flare the pin tips after the board is held in position.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a hell of a job just to have a new key case!
So you mean by heating the pins on the new key case, it will kind of melt it self on the boarding circuit and keep it fixed?

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,590 Posts
So you mean by heating the pins on the new key case, it will kind of melt it self on the boarding circuit and keep it fixed?
Yes. That is commonly done on items like this just to make quick and cheap fabrication.

The melted plastic pin just serves to secure the board without having to use screws.

You could use a soldering iron if you don't let it heat up to full operating temp. Or you could just heat a small screwdriver in a flame and use it to melt/flatten the pin.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Getting those battery contacts transferred will be more difficult, they look like a press in & lock in place style with a small tab angled back to dig into the plastic & hold them in place.

Tiny tools to pry that out in a way that won't damage it, look close & it should be simpler than any explanation in words.

·
Registered
17,173 Posts
Yes to all of that, the pin ends melt to weld the part down. I myself using a dremel and very small carbide tip could remove the board from old case in maybe 60 seconds. Basically just grind the melted ends of pins off. Board falls right off then.

Like said, pulling the battery contacts without deforming them into uselessness will be the defining issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts