Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Well it is time to upgrade that God-awful Blaupunkt factory head unit in my car. The thing frustrates me to no end.
In my search for a new head unit, I had a few important criteria.
First: It has to be able to "random all disc" function. I want it to play randomly between folders and the entire disc while playing a MP3 disc. (That criteria was a lot harder to forfill than I thought)

Second: Easy of navigation of MP3 files and folders

Pretty much every head unit that plays MP3's will do what I want from it so the above 2 criteria were important in my decision.

What do you guys think about this head unit: KENWOOD KDCX790

I found it at Crutchfield for $350 out the door with all the required accessories to install.
I also found the stand alone head unit for $235 out the door w/o the accessores at Shopdog.com
If I bought the accesorries (wire harness, face adaptor, antenna adaptor,etc) at Crutchfield, they would be $50 out the door. (For a total of $285 if I ordered from both crutchfield and shopdog.)

Second question, has anyone ever bought anything from Shopdog.com? I called thier customer support line and a live person answered within a minute and they had a good rating at epinions.com

I would really love some feedback on the kenwood head unit. I really want to make sure I am getting my money's worth whichever way I decide to order.

Thanks for all your help,

Jojo

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Never bought anything from Shopdog.. But i LOVE my kenwood. I say go for it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
LOVE all my kenwoods (4 decks! Three Amps! Three Subs! 16 Door Speakers!) and if ePinions says they're good ... believe they're good! Go for it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine is actually on order...I bought the x590 from crutchfield and didnt like it..So im gona exchange it for the 790 ..I would order from them if I was you..They have great customer service and if you dont like it , you can exchange it with free shipping...Its cool cause I dont have to send my x590 in until my new head unit comes in..pretty cool I say..But yea the x790 seems pretty cool especially with the tilting face and the multi-color display..But be prepared to read the whole instruction manual more then once..[?|]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have last years version in my 02 sedan. Very happy with it, a lot of features, great with mp3s. (not that I listen to them since the satellite radio, but still...)

The only difference between the X790 (this year) and the X789 (last year) is the colors of the display.

This is my 4th kenwood radio, and by far, it's the one I'm happiest with.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I have it and it is a good unit, love the sound, but there are couple of things that you should know. One, as stated above, be prepared to read and re-read the manual. This unit is packed with features, so many of the buttons have two or three different functions. Two, the screen will completely washout in the sun. Even if the sun is at an angle and not shining directly on the unit it will be hard to see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts