Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have this

First question is has anyone ever hooked one up in a focus and wired the stereo to where you can watch movies without having the parking brake engaged? My buddy did it with a Dual in his Grand Am by just putting a switch in it so when he turned the car on and the stereo came on it would read that the parking brake was disengaged he would flip the switch and it would let him watch movies without the parking brake on.

Second one is how would I even wire it into the parking brake?

thanks for any help guys

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
with kenwood, all you need to do is ground the e-brake wire coming off the deck and that will bypass the ebrake wire

as for fiting it in your car, have fun. the focus from 04 down is not double din. so again, have fun

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yep matt is correct....if you were to hook it up correctly you would have to remove the center counsel and at the e-brake there is a small plug with two wires....you would splice into the black one and should do the trick

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its in and working i wired it through a relay so i didnt even have to mess with the parking brake

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ok so i have this

First question is has anyone ever hooked one up in a focus and wired the stereo to where you can watch movies without having the parking brake engaged? My buddy did it with a Dual in his Grand Am by just putting a switch in it so when he turned the car on and the stereo came on it would read that the parking brake was disengaged he would flip the switch and it would let him watch movies without the parking brake on.

Second one is how would I even wire it into the parking brake?

thanks for any help guys
yes, i have this exact model head unit. its in my 03 svt and dont let these guys fill you full of shit. there is no cutting in the dash involved at all. just a minor trim to the radio bezel that anyone can do. i wired my stereo up and grounded the brake wire like said. it works perfectly and i watch movies on the way to and from work all the time. here are some pics. im not finished with the trim panel for it so it has small gaps on the sides of it but im working on a trim panel made from a sheet of black abs plastic available at any local audio shop.

pics of my 2 din ddx7015 in my 1.8 din dash hole with no cutting.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
that looks nice man i been wanting to do that myself but got the flip out instead

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats pretty much what mine looks like had to dremel out the top and the corners a little bit....it will work until i get around to fiberglassing me one up that it fits nicer into

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
thanks. absoloutly no "cutting" involved. a little trim to the bezel where there is a lip sticking down from the top but thats it. i actually cut that with my klein crimp tool. i cut sections in it about every inch and juct broke them off with pliers like tabs. it took about 2 minutes to trim enough so the stereo would slide in snugly. also i removed the piece of foam under the hazard switch which was just taped onto the switch propping it up off the stock stereo. i didnt even have to use a cage with the head unit. it slid perfectly into the hole snug as a bug.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Just put in an Kenwood Excelon DDX812 in a 2001 ZX3. I talked to a install tech at a local shop. He said to put some high density foam around the edges with gaps. It looks better then having the gaps in the sides.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im gonna go this week and get me a spare surround and just fiberglass me one up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts