Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*I appologise because i am long winded*

I currently have the k&n Typhoon intake and I was doing a datalog the other day and was getting an average of 125-135 degrees for the intake temp while the outside temp was around 98(unless I was just reading it wrong).

That temp seems very high to me so my question is this:
I have the 3d file of the big mouth snorkel and plan to install it to help but do you think it would make a big enough difference or should I pursue a custom intake that won't suck in as much engine heat?

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts
You can be inspired by the AEM "real" CAI which goes so low for fresh air it almost scrape the ground [grinking]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now there's an idea, though living in Florida, I might have to get my boating license to drive my car down some roads after a rain

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
The AEM intake or the stock intake box are going to be your best bet. the big mouth snorkel wont do much with the K&N since it's open to the engine bay. The snorkel is designed to work with the stock air box.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
You can try the RS Focus air box. check my avatar pic. it's opened but with a seal so that it seals to the hood to help keep hot air out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll give the rs airbox a good readup. I remember seeing y'alls conversation about it on here. I've got some mandrel bent pipes I may play with in the mean time that I'll see if I can mock up a counterfeit aem. Find what I like best

·
Registered
30 Posts
*I appologise because i am long winded*

I currently have the k&n Typhoon intake and I was doing a datalog the other day and was getting an average of 125-135 degrees for the intake temp while the outside temp was around 98(unless I was just reading it wrong).

That temp seems very high to me so my question is this:
I have the 3d file of the big mouth snorkel and plan to install it to help but do you think it would make a big enough difference or should I pursue a custom intake that won't suck in as much engine heat?
You are going to get high temps like this and very likely even higher. There is "NO" way around it unless you put the factory original air intake setup back in the car.

What did you expect the K&N Typhoon to do? Serious Question that was!

That K&N setup you installed, sucks hot air from the engine bay/compartment area. That air is hot so your 125+ degree temps are about spot on.
The Ford Factory air box is about as good as you can get. A aftermarket box will provide very little or no benefit. But there are dreamers who think that engine sucking air sound is an extra 1000 hp..O Well..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was under the impression that the heat shield would have actually made contact and formed a seal because it looks like that was the intention originally when it was designed.

Honestly, I'm very tempted to just go back to stock completely and sell off all the stuff I've bought for the car because it just isn't worth it in my opinion any more. I don't race like some of the guys on here, I just like fiddling with the car though I'm not very good at it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
look into a airaid CAI. its basically a stock box extension that seals it to the hood. then i also have a dual snorkel setup with a ford racing snorkel and then the newmission mod. which is a 3inch tube that comes from behind your grille into the bottom of the box. my intake temps are normally about 10ish degrees higher than ambient temp.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I run the stock air box with a AEM filter and the Ford Racing snorkel. I put a temp sensor in the air box and air is the same temp as the outside air when you are moving.
I do a lot of stop and go city driving, so the next year I insulated outside of the stock air box. It keeps the air temp at the outside air temp in this situation a lot longer in mostly stop and creep along driving.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I run the stock air box with a AEM filter and the Ford Racing snorkel. I put a temp sensor in the air box and air is the same temp as the outside air when you are moving.
I do a lot of stop and go city driving, so the next year I insulated outside of the stock air box. It keeps the air temp at the outside air temp in this situation a lot longer in mostly stop and creep along driving.
Is the stock box any more restrictive than, say the rs box? Trying to understand the benefit of the rs box other than the sound if the stock box is not an issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is the stock box any more restrictive than, say the rs box? Trying to understand the benefit of the rs box other than the sound if the stock box is not an issue?
I'd like to bring this question back up if anyone will answer. I'm in a similar place (I've got the factory box with a K&N filter) and wondering what, if anything, would be good for mpg especially. HP & tq are nice, but an mpg boost pays for itself. I plan on doing the snorkel delete ASAP as a next step.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts