Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, I was getting to thinking about an issue that often gets brought up during the discussions about CAI or RAI... what i'm talking about is piping heat. I know that this only pertains to metal pipes, (so for those of you sporting the polymers you need not worry) but what if the piping was proteced by products such as insulating wrap or other such barriers. Is this not worth the cost? I say it because others have complained about a searing heat eminating off of their CAI after long drives, and isn't the point of these systems to acquire the coolest air possible? What do you all think?

Thermo-Tec
http://www.thermotec.com/exhaust-insulating-wrap.html
http://www.thermotec.com/cool-air-tube-heat-shield.html

Attachments

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
RAI means Ram Air Intake?

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I've had my CAI wrapped up already it was one of the best things and cheapest I could do it looks good too when the header is wrapped and the CAI is also wrapped! It helps greatly with keeping the piping cool and heat soak free

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Wrapping your intake isn't going to do much. Heat soak is more due to the intake sucking in hot air from the engine bay. The amount of time the air spends inside an intake pipe is so minimal that it won't have time to get heated up by the warm piping.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
^^^Agreed, it's a matter of keeping the air thats sucked, cold. I did some thermal testing a few months ago and found the air going into the CAI is about ambieant untill you stop then it heats up. But even then like Egz said, it's in the pipeing for such a short amoutn of time that it won't heat up to much. Even if you have a SRI when your intake sucks the air in it tends to cool it. Moving air is all ways cooler than stagnent air. So to wrap it would be good if you want to keep your pipe cool, but for keeping your air cool not so much.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
I don't think wrapping the intake is honestly worth the cost...

I'd save the cash and get a CAI if you can.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
RAI means Ram Air Intake?
Yeah, I think that he is calling an SRI by RAI. I had wrapped my CAI a while back too, b/c the top pipe was getting so hot, you didnt want to keep your hand on it. wrapping it really helped to keep it cool. i dont know what affect this had on the air. i just know the pipe was much cooler.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ktwelsh, this stuff doesn't cost that much... we're talking like $23 and I was also talking about utalizing this stuff along with a CAI system. And I understand that the quantity of moving air within the pipe is greater than the surface area of the pipe itself at any given moment but why wouldn't the hot intake piping affect the temperature? I mean, driving in the city or in traffic... we can't always be driving on the highway at cruising speeds with a continues stream of cool air. And is it RAI or SRI? Both?

·
1,999 Posts
IT's SRI ( short ram intake). And the air that is sucked by your engine is moving to fast to warm up to a temp. that the engine doesn't like, now, I'm talking in retrosect of the pipe heating the air. The pipe doesn't get hot enough to heat the air fast enough. I did some testing and it showed the air at the CAI at 97* in stop and go traffic when stoped (on a good hot day too) now keep in mind that this is a CAI not a SRI, and when I started going the air was cooled to a 73* and the air in the in take was a chilling 70*.I had athermal hookedked up in for places.
1) rite before my CAI filter
2) at the end of my MAF tube
3) rite above my OBX header
4) and rite where the SRI goes.
Now the funny thing is, that the air by the header and the SRI (when moving) was cooler than the CAI air in the tube and by the filter. So after doing this I realized that a SRI mite be a better option for performance, w/ the acception of getting heatsoak from accelleration.

Some pics

this is the header not OBX I had stock then I guess

and the insturment I used to read the thermal couples

and the four couples I put in my window to plug in while driving so I could read them

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Guys ever datalog your intake air temps? Just seconds after starting to move the intake air temps shoot down to right at or just above ambient temperatures. This was done even with my SRI. Heatsoak is so overplayed its not even funny. I mean the only time you will ever see any real heatsoak is at a dead stop and you won't hardly notice it unless you are drag racing quite frankly.

If you really want to keep heatsoak to a minimum instead of trying to keep the heat out of the intake, how about letting the heat out of the engine bay. Or better yet wrapping your header and also letting air out of the engine bay. Case in point the rear weatherstripping above it. Honestly even in Seattle winters (rain constantly) I have never had a problem with it removed. The space is minimal and there is still a lip where the stripping was to keep 99% of the water out while still letting an enormous amount of heat out.

·
1,999 Posts
ya I did this before I had my Xcal3 just to see what it was. I took me for ever to hook that stuff up..lol. but now all I have to do is the datalog and is way easy. I wanted to see what all the fuss about heat soak was about and found that the temp doesn't even get hot enouhg to heat soak the engine. But I think the point is Justin as we both know that the cooler the air the more efficant the car.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
^^no real point, rep doesn't count till you have at least 100 posts or something...

and hood scoops ftw on this argument..

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes remove the strip at the back of the bay it helps a lot i noticed since i removed mine i can see the hear waves riasing out of my hood at a stop

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
Wait what? I gave Ninja rep I'm not asking for some. What are you talking about warneej?
hes not saying that. you are too new for giving rep is what he means. any rep that is given out by a person with less than i think 125 posts will not count for the person you give it to. so the rep you give out now will not affect others.

·
1,999 Posts
Nem is rite, but thanks anyways, I will pretend that it worked, here.....O wow, I just got some rep, nice, hay thanks Areol! How was that? Oscar worthy.....?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts