Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Someone got his internet panties in a bunch. Calling someone a schmuck because you can't win an argument or don't know what a volume dealer is because you live in the sticks is sad. Admitting your knowledge is second hand instead of first hand like mine and arguing about it make you a special sort of dumb. How many DCT equipped cars have you owned Skippy? I've had 3 with over 276,000 miles driven.

Young know-it-all's on the internet. Gotta love them.....especially when they get angry.

They are probably in your ass and popped when you came out to post.[poke]
Haha, okay old man. Your first hand knowledge standing in line at the dealership while your car gets fixed is clearly more useful than my knowledge from doing the same thing and multiple reports from multiple service techs at multiple dealerships. Oh, I'm sorry, you were at a big dealership. That changes everything!

Thanks for teaching me, grandpa! Now can we play ball-in-a-cup or roll the hoop like when you were a kid?

Also, I forgot to tell you how very proud of you I am that you figured out how to use your computer to get on the big bad scary internet! I know that it's been hard learning that while your friends and family might think your opinion is scripture, the internet is full of folks who might know more than you. Welcome to the big pond, little fish.

We get it: you have opinions that are based on your experiences, and your limited experiences differ from many others'. Congratulations.

Now, if it's all the same to you, let's keep the conversation civil and on-topic, shall we? I'll buy you a prune juice if you think you can do that [:)]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 SE with 110,000 miles on it and have had zero trouble with any part. I drive about 100 miles a day round trip to work. Transmission works perfectly

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 2015 SE with 110,000 miles on it and have had zero trouble with any part. I drive about 100 miles a day round trip to work. Transmission works perfectly
Certainly not every DPS6 will be problematic. And certainly everyone's drive is different. 100 miles every day roundtrip for just work makes me think you do a fair amount of highway travel. True?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Put new tires on it and drive it as long as possible. You put 40k a year on vehicles? Probably highway. Best thing for a dct. The car has already depreciated. You won’t lose money until you sell. If you get 4-5 years out of it you will be way ahead.
I concur. Even if you have to drop a new clutch in at some point, you will still be driving it for practically nothing...

·
Registered
8 Posts
So heres my thoughts....i have a 2012 focus se hatchback with the dct. I drive for work, a little over 30k a year. Yes, i had/have shuddering. I drove til 180k on the original shuddering then had a local ford mechanic do new clutches, tcm, kit with seals and such and one of the forks for $1200. Im currently still shuddering but still driving at roughly 265k. Ive had the steering rack replaced also. Outside of that ive done all the repairs. Is it worth selling for $2k with only 12k miles on it? Wow! Someone will get a great deal if you sell it! Let us know! I would keep it even if you ran it two years then sell for a few grand at least!

·
Registered
180 Posts
So heres my thoughts....i have a 2012 focus se hatchback with the dct. I drive for work, a little over 30k a year. Yes, i had/have shuddering. I drove til 180k on the original shuddering then had a local ford mechanic do new clutches, tcm, kit with seals and such and one of the forks for $1200. Im currently still shuddering but still driving at roughly 265k. Ive had the steering rack replaced also. Outside of that ive done all the repairs. Is it worth selling for $2k with only 12k miles on it? Wow! Someone will get a great deal if you sell it! Let us know! I would keep it even if you ran it two years then sell for a few grand at least!
See. This is why I say that we really generally don't know what kind of life these clutches get. Sounds to me like you do a lot of highway driving. Shudder is really annoying, but it appears as though you can keep driving with it. Did you have any slipping going on earlier on with your clutches? What sort of behavior as your clutches wore out? Most people get rid of their clutch packs much earlier. Seems hard to quantify clutch life.

OP, it always costs more to buy a new car than repair your current one, IMO. I think you'd be better off riding it out until it dies beyond repair than getting a different vehicle. Just my .02C.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
804 Posts
The bottom line is this: Sure most of us have probably thought about ditching the DCT at some point, however it will cost money to do that. Very rarely, if ever, will anyone ever brake even on a trade & in fact most of the time it will cost you several grand or more.

So, you’ll have to ask yourself: How badly do you ‘want’ another vehicle? Because you don’t necessarily ‘need’ one. That’s pretty much how I feel about it. I’ve looked at an ST or Escape Titanium etc. & those two vehicles would likely cost me a minimum of 10-12k out-of-pocket just to get rid of my DCT.

Is it worth it? For me it often depends on what day it is & my mood at the time. The Escape isn’t necessarily a soccer mom SUV if it’s Shadow Black w/the black wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Escape isn’t necessarily a soccer mom SUV if it’s Shadow Black w/the black wheels.
As someone who has kids who play soccer - though who is not a mom - I can honestly say that these small SUVs (CUVs?) aren't really "soccer mom" territory. The Escape is like a Focus with more headroom and a step to get into. Soccer moms like cars on big platforms.

That said, I think the 2020 Escape looks pretty nice. But it's Ford and right now I won't touch another Ford. If Ford replaces my DPS6 with an MTX-75 or buys it back for waaaaay more than trade-in value and gives me a $10k voucher toward a new vehicle...well, I'd probably get an Escape [hihi]

21 - 28 of 28 Posts