Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Focus SE sedan that's been garage kept and is like new except for dry rotted tires. It only has 12k miles and has never been a short trip car. I drive another car but will need to replace it soon. Should I sell the Focus for whatever I can get and move on, take my chances on the DCT, or do a manual swap? I drive about 40k miles a year and reliability matters. None of the options are great. I so wish I would have bought something else.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2012 Focus SE sedan that's been garage kept and is like new except for dry rotted tires. It only has 12k miles and has never been a short trip car. I drive another car but will need to replace it soon. Should I sell the Focus for whatever I can get and move on, take my chances on the DCT, or do a manual swap? I drive about 40k miles a year and reliability matters. None of the options are great. I so wish I would have bought something else.
Do you have transmission shudder at the moment? It's really a roll of the dice when you factor in how much stop-and-go traffic do you encounter usually.

My $0.02 - Given how the Focus depreciates due to the DCT, selling it may only net you up to $5k? I would always champion selling the Focus and use the $5k as payment for something else? I understand everyone has a different financial burden but selling it a few years later and it may not be even worth scrap metal.

My 2010 Focus S is worth maybe $1500 - 2000 at the moment. Granted it's a stick and a base model but the Gen 1.5s do depreciate differently compared to the Gen IIIs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have a 2012 and I like it except for the DCT. My daughter has the same car in a 5-speed MT so I have a direct comparison. Hers is much more enjoyable to drive. I know there's a chance Ford will be forced to do something for DCT owners even those of us with high mileage and outside the extended 14M01 limits. That said, I am not confident that they will do anything that is a long lasting fix and it will continue to be a pain and reliability is compromised.

So, I'm seriously leaning towards the swap and I'm beginning to source some used parts to do the job myself. I've found what looks to be a suitable junkyard car that is local and has all the MT stuff still on it so I should be able to do it pretty inexpensively and I will use new parts where it makes sense (clutch, seals, CV axles). This being the case, I can do it for under a grand which is doable. I've seen the guides and nothing scares me about the job itself. I'm already running Tom's tune for the DCT so it makes sense for me to just keep the PCM and automatic wiring harness and I can avoid having to tow it to a dealer to do any reprogramming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have any major DCT issues yet other than the normal weirdness. I'm concerned that would change quickly when I put the car into service.

Yeah, the miles are very low. Should have bought a Mustang GT. I'd have no problem hanging on to that. We got the Focus when we needed two cars and haven't used it much past the first year. We held on to the car thinking we'd use it again.

Seeing others do the manual swap is temping me. Hopefully I could get 150k miles out of the swapped car and recover that value.

None of the options are ideal. Anyone have a time machine?

·
Registered
132 Posts
No way I would sell it if it is paid for. My wife's '14 Titanium had the clutches done under warranty but now has 100,000 miles on the F clutch without shudder.
If you are worried about the car, go to a volume dealer and tell them you have shudder. Most have so many come in that they do not even test them, they just replace them off the bat. The car has very little residual value due to age and reputation, you might as well enjoy it. Had you bought an 11-12 GT you would have been worried about the #8 cylinder failure, MT-82 weirdness and failures, bubbling hoods and obsessing about the BBQ igniter tick.

·
Registered
494 Posts
No way I would sell it. My wife's '14 Titanium had the clutches done under warranty but now has 100,000 miles on the F clutch without shudder.
If you are worried about the car, go to a volume dealer and tell them you have shudder. Most have so many come in that they do not even test them, they just replace them off the bat. The car has very little residual value due to age and reputation, you might as well enjoy it.
Being a 2012, it is likely beyond the 7-year limit for 14M01 warranty work so if that's the case, it would be an out of pocket expense. Even if it was still within limits, the dealers have to test and submit results to Ford corporate in order to get reimbursed for the warranty work so unless they have a way of faking it (and not sure why they would do that for some unknown customer), they have to test the vehicle. Only hope is that with the recent publicity, they will extend and hopefully vastly improve the 14M01 program.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Step 1, take it to the dealer. It may be elligible/need 14M01 done, and since it's a 2012, it will be close to the limit for the 7 years. (Might already be done. Mine still qualified in March.) Also have them check the fuel tank/purge valve. Get whatever service you can get from them.

The cheapest car to own is pretty much always the car you own.

I always worry when I see an older car with really low miles. The same way the tires rot, many of the engine and transmission seals will rot, too. In the case of the transmission, that's a big problem, which these are known to have already. If you can get the seals done under warranty, so much the better. It may still be possible, but may need a call to Ford customer service to get the extension on the seal warranty.

If you are planning on a large increase in the duty of the car, this is a likely place for problems to pop up. This can be a good thing to be aware of if you are planning on selling it to friends or family, too. Sometimes people are not so understanding of the car that they just bought having been a garage queen, and suddenly it's a daily driver with problems.

In the end, if you sock away some dollars for the manual transmission swap, and can do the work, or have it done reasonably, you SHOULD be able to get the time to put the cash away to get it done while keeping the DCT in the meantime. It depends though on just how much do you need the car to be reliable. If you can't be without it for more than a couple of days (During which you would need a taxi, and/or rental) then you might want ot start gathering parts, rather than just the money, but really, it's probably not that much more to buy another car which would be serviceable, probably less if you're paying someone else to do the swap.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Being a 2012, it is likely beyond the 7-year limit for 14M01 warranty work so if that's the case, it would be an out of pocket expense.
Not necessarily. I have received good will from Ford before out of warranty and with this being so close and the threat of Congressional investigations looming, Ford might be more than willing to help.

Even if it was still within limits, the dealers have to test and submit results to Ford corporate in order to get reimbursed for the warranty work so unless they have a way of faking it (and not sure why they would do that for some unknown customer), they have to test the vehicle.
They simply input the variance from normal into the computer and submit it to Ford. The dealer that did mine was doing this 50-75 times a week for customers. The '14 never got seen before it received new clutches, we walked in and put our name on a list then walked out. The car was brought in a week later and ready late the same day. I have a friend that is a Ford tech in northern Virginia that told me that the problem is so widespread that dealers are bypassing the test to get these cars in and out as quickly as possible. He said "They're all bad, no one is faking it."

Of course that is just my experience, yours may vary.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Also, trade on this car is horrible. KB is $2300-$3300 and is always above the dealer guide. With dry rotted tires and no dealer wanting this car on their lot, I expect a $1200-$1500 trade in offer as it sits, and it will go straight to auction to be sold at a buy here pay here lot. If you want that $5000 mark, put on some cheap fresh tires and list it locally. Start around $5995 and work your way down.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You'd get crushed on the trade. Try to sell yourself at a some decent price, or just drive it until it dies. With those low miles, I'd probably keep it. Worst case, you'll have to pay $1500 or whatever to repair the DTC. That's a few car payments to some people.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If you are worried about the car, go to a volume dealer and tell them you have shudder. Most have so many come in that they do not even test them, they just replace them off the bat.
LOL, that's not true at all. Not even a little.

DPS6 warranty repairs require pre-authorization from Ford for dealership reimbursement. They hook it up, run the diagnostic, submit it to Ford, and if the values are outside of spec, the warranty repair is authorized. It's timestamped and tied to the VIN.

I mean, I guess a dealership might do it just because, but there would be a real and significant risk that they wouldn't get reimbursed by Ford corporate. There's literally no reason for them to skip the pre-authorization...which requires the test.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Do yourself a favor & get an online appraisal with Carvana. You might be surprised with their offer & they make it fast & easy + you can avoid the dealership nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Put new tires on it and drive it as long as possible. You put 40k a year on vehicles? Probably highway. Best thing for a dct. The car has already depreciated. You won’t lose money until you sell. If you get 4-5 years out of it you will be way ahead.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 2012 and I like it except for the DCT. My daughter has the same car in a 5-speed MT so I have a direct comparison. Hers is much more enjoyable to drive. I know there's a chance Ford will be forced to do something for DCT owners even those of us with high mileage and outside the extended 14M01 limits. That said, I am not confident that they will do anything that is a long lasting fix and it will continue to be a pain and reliability is compromised.

So, I'm seriously leaning towards the swap and I'm beginning to source some used parts to do the job myself. I've found what looks to be a suitable junkyard car that is local and has all the MT stuff still on it so I should be able to do it pretty inexpensively and I will use new parts where it makes sense (clutch, seals, CV axles). This being the case, I can do it for under a grand which is doable. I've seen the guides and nothing scares me about the job itself. I'm already running Tom's tune for the DCT so it makes sense for me to just keep the PCM and automatic wiring harness and I can avoid having to tow it to a dealer to do any reprogramming.
Curious. Did you buy his tune after already having shudder? How many miles? And do you have shudder now?

I think one of the new tune revisions we did had the opposite effect. I went back to an old revision and after some initial shudder, it is doing fine now. May be weather related too.

Wish Ford would extend 14m01 so I could get some free clutches and retune with Tom. Lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
LOL, that's not true at all. Not even a little.
Yeah it is true, more than a little. Our car was never looked at, and the Service Manager said that none of them in for the repair were. He said If they did, it is all they would be doing all day every day. When my Mustang hood was replaced they looked at it, said "We're going to replace it" when Ford was pushing for the seam repair instead due to aluminum corrosion. Their service is the reason I have bought 5 new cars from them in the the past 5 years.

DPS6 warranty repairs require pre-authorization from Ford for dealership reimbursement. They hook it up, run the diagnostic, submit it to Ford, and if the values are outside of spec, the warranty repair is authorized. It's timestamped and tied to the VIN.
Again, did not happen with me or the 30-40 others that were in front of me according to the Service Manager of a very well know northern Virginia dealer (there are only 2). Is it possible they were conducting the test after taking the cars in? Maybe.

I mean, I guess a dealership might do it just because, but there would be a real and significant risk that they wouldn't get reimbursed by Ford corporate. There's literally no reason for them to skip the pre-authorization...which requires the test.
When you have hundreds of them coming in and your dealership is located in one of the top 5 richest counties in the nation, people can change brands anytime they wish. We went in, talked to the Service manager, he wrote our name down and gave us an appointment time to have it rebuilt. A week later the car was in the shop in the morning, by afternoon the car was finished. Period, end of story. I am not going to argue it anymore, these are our beater cars, nothing more. As long as they continue to reliably go with the 120-250 miles per day we each put on them, we will stick with them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Put new tires on it and drive it as long as possible. You put 40k a year on vehicles? Probably highway. Best thing for a dct. The car has already depreciated. You won’t lose money until you sell. If you get 4-5 years out of it you will be way ahead.
At 12K and likely highway miles, i think I might give that a try.

You could also run it to CarMax and see what they would buy it for. Offer would be valid for 7 days, provided you don't wind the mileage up in the 7 days.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah it is true, more than a little. Our car was never looked at, and the Service Manager said that none of them in for the repair were. He said If they did, it is all they would be doing all day every day. When my Mustang hood was replaced they looked at it, said "We're going to replace it" when Ford was pushing for the seam repair instead due to aluminum corrosion. Their service is the reason I have bought 5 new cars from them in the the past 5 years.

Again, did not happen with me or the 30-40 others that were in front of me according to the Service Manager of a very well know northern Virginia dealer (there are only 2). Is it possible they were conducting the test after taking the cars in? Maybe.

When you have hundreds of them coming in and your dealership is located in one of the top 5 richest counties in the nation, people can change brands anytime they wish. We went in, talked to the Service manager, he wrote our name down and gave us an appointment time to have it rebuilt. A week later the car was in the shop in the morning, by afternoon the car was finished. Period, end of story. I am not going to argue it anymore, these are our beater cars, nothing more. As long as they continue to reliably go with the 120-250 miles per day we each put on them, we will stick with them.
Oh, well, my apologies. Clearly your eyeballs could see through walls and your vast knowledge of all things Ford gives you a depth of understanding that far exceeds that of my acquaintances who are actual techs making actual repairs on the DPS6 at actual dealerships. It never occurred to me that some random schmuck on the internet would know so much more than they would about the process!

I'll come to you next time I need some inside information to share on reddit and have picked up by the DFP, okay? I can't wait to see what treat you have to share with us!

I'll be back in a minute. My eyes rolled completely out of my skull and I need to go find them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh, well, my apologies. Clearly your eyeballs could see through walls and your vast knowledge of all things Ford gives you a depth of understanding that far exceeds that of my acquaintances who are actual techs making actual repairs on the DPS6 at actual dealerships. It never occurred to me that some random schmuck on the internet would know so much more than they would about the process!

Someone got his internet panties in a bunch. Calling someone a schmuck because you can't win an argument or don't know what a volume dealer is because you live in the sticks is sad. Admitting your knowledge is second hand instead of first hand like mine and arguing about it make you a special sort of dumb. How many DCT equipped cars have you owned Skippy? I've had 3 with over 276,000 miles driven.

I'll come to you next time I need some inside information to share on reddit and have picked up by the DFP, okay? I can't wait to see what treat you have to share with us!
Young know-it-all's on the internet. Gotta love them.....especially when they get angry.

I'll be back in a minute. My eyes rolled completely out of my skull and I need to go find them.
They are probably in your ass and popped when you came out to post.[poke]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts