Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[sing]So my wife says to me "whats that?" and points to a drip mark in the paint. After some thinking, well knowing it wasn't me because I don't use the stuff. The only thing I have had in the interior is windex and I don't think it was that. So now I have a drip mark on the console between the shifter and cup holder. I'm pretty sure it was hand sanitizer that made the paint soft. Turned it dull ans at the bottom of the drip the paint came off to expose the plastic underneath.[mad]

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sanitizer is basically just some alcohol cut with a gel and water, etc.

It shouldn't remove paint.
%97+ alcohol will take off clearcoat so even a less potent version could attack interior painted surfaces. Especially because the "gell" in the sanitizer keeps it from evaporating quickly giving it time to eat away 8(
FYI suntan lotion can soften some paints and plastics 8(

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The paint on the SE trim is sub par in my opinion.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
^^O K, cause ford would say "hey we can't use this paint on this one, it's an SES" [giggle]lmao, the paint is the same across the board. Sucks about the the drip/bubble/missing paint. No way to touch it up or anything?

·
Registered
239 Posts
The interior trim pieces are different between an SE and SES (with MFT). The MFT is glossy, whereas the other is a painted plastic. I don't mind my "sub par" trim in any case. Glossy shows fingerprints too easily.

·
Registered
355 Posts
There are a few things you can do. Depending on the color, check out your local WalMart for Sharpie pens that closely match the paint. They have metallic or flat in many colors. I've used them for years for interior and exterior scratches. Also, a nice coat of clear nail polish will match the clearcoat if you take your time and put it on in very thin layers.

I also use Kiwi black shoe polish on my leather seats if you get a wear mark or a scratch from a pet or something. This also works for scratches or scrapes on interior plastic trim pieces (if they're black of course). It'll put the color and shine back to match the rest of your trim.

One thing to keep in mind about hand cleaners, bug sprays, lotions or ointments... Anything that has a pure alcohol or petroleum base will most likely dull clearcoat, and potentially melt leather or plastic. I took the paint completely off my SportTrac one day after I sprayed myself with Off insect repellant and leaned against one of the step rails.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
The interior trim pieces are different between an SE and SES (with MFT). The MFT is glossy, whereas the other is a painted plastic. I don't mind my "sub par" trim in any case. Glossy shows fingerprints too easily.
Doh, silly me[facepalm] lol, I was thinking exterior paint. I agree glossy is sometimes too much, to much finger prints that is lol.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't mind my "sub par" trim in any case. Glossy shows fingerprints too easily.
I guess sub par was a bad choice of words. It appears that it doesn't scratch easy so it probably is decent paint. It's basically just a matte finish.
Thanks for the sharpie tip underbird. We have silver ones at work. The dealer might have touch up by now too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
%97+ alcohol will take off clearcoat so even a less potent version could attack interior painted surfaces. Especially because the "gell" in the sanitizer keeps it from evaporating quickly giving it time to eat away 8(
FYI suntan lotion can soften some paints and plastics 8(
Whoa didn't realize suntan lotion could do that [eek]

Regarding sanitizer though while I get near pure alcohol might be of concern, I'm surprised the amount in sanitizer is enough. I'll actually have to keep this in mind since my car hasn't arrived yet and I routinely use it in my current vehicle ... and spill it all the time [:I]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts